Cold Bedroom - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cold bedroom

I've read several threads about cold bedrooms, well mine is no different.
my bedroom is upstairs, the thermostat is in the flex space next to the
bedroom, and this area is always warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. maybe if I relocate the thermostat to my bedroom, the hvac
unit would respond to the temp in the bedroom rather than the temp in the flex space and yes there is a return in the bedroom. what do you guys think?

Advertisement

Last edited by redcedar; 01-12-2011 at 07:41 PM.
redcedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

cold bedroom

I worked for a new home builder for a time a few years back and this was the most common problem we ran into. Not knowing anything about your home and being repetitive on this site you can check a few things yourself. First, with the furnace running place a tissue over the vent if there is enough airflow the tissue should be blown off aggressively. Secondly, place the tissue over the cold air return, it should be "vacuumed" onto the grill. If there is not enough air going through the supply vents go around the house and close the vents in rooms that are hotter than others (winter). The idea here is to balance the airflow through the home. You can also run your vacuum hose down the floor vent to see if there is a blockage. During the building proses it is remarkable what can get shove down a vent by a worker. The next thing you can do is to have an infrared contractor come in and scan the area. It gives you an incredible view of what is going on behind your walls and floor. You may find that, if you room is above a garage, it is very possible that there are massive air leaks that are having an impact on your environment You can see an image of this problem here.
I hope that this helps!

Steve Matthews
www.ibireport.ca

Advertisement

Irguy is offline   Reply With Quote