Cold Basement/Cultured Stone - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cold Basement/Cultured Stone

I need help with a problem concerning my current walk-out basement remodel. Currently I have a 1200 sq/ft basement, framed, with 6 heat ducts and 2 returns installed. Only the rear (40ft outside exit) wall is insulated to R14. The contractor wants to apply cultured stone (R .6) directly to the oposite 40ft below grade wall. The basement stays below 60 degrees now when the upstairs thermostat (no stat below) is set on 68 degrees. My questions are:

Should the cultured stone wall be framed and insulated.

How much warmer will the basement be with the 40ft side walls insulated and carpet installed with the stone attached directly to the below grade 40ft wall.

I know there are many variables to consider here, I live in KY which is a moderate temp. state. I really need to sort this out before the "stone" is attached. Should the space prove to be too cold, the stone would be difficult to remove.....not to mention the cost. Please help.

Advertisement

bozo4onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,732

Won't make a lot of difference.

Most likely, you just don't have enough air going to or being returned from the basement.

Plus, all teh cold air from the main floor, falls to teh basement, when ever the furnace isn't running.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #3

Thanks beenthere. I really can't see much cold air escaping to the basement. The 1st floor is insulated and it's not open (door way closed to the stairwell upstairs) to the basement. I really just want some opinions on wether or not to attach the rock directly to the wall or frame and insulate the wall before rocking it. Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

The cold air from the first floor to the basement. Comes through the duct work.

If your system is in the basement.
Then your supplies and returns are most likely low(in floor or low on the wall).
The coldest air of the first floor always drops through the grilles and registers to the basement.

Lots of people find that out the hard way.

If you just install the rock face, you will loose roughly 8000 BTU's an hour through it.

If you frame and add R14 insulation, you will loose roughly 343 BTUs an hour.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #5

Thanks again beenthere. The ductwork cold air route makes sense and is something I never thought about. Could you please tell me how you came up with the numbers for the BTU loss through the rock wall so I can convince the contractor. He tells me he "does this all the time" (attach rock to a poured concrete basement wall). Cheers.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

A. I see I did a typo.

It was suppose to be 800(eight hundred) not 8000.

I used a U factor, and then converted to a heat transfer multiplier for the wall to be completely below grade.

HTM, is how much heat the wall will transmit from the basement to the ground on the other side.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. I was online looking for large baseboard heaters to replace the 8000 BTU loss. 800 BTU sounds way more managable. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

No problem.
Sorry about the typo.

My fingers get carried away sometimes.

Advertisement