Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
Not New, but New Here

Share |

Cold back room - question on duct insulation

Hello All -

I did search the forums, but not really able to find what I need.

Heres the situation:

I have a unheated, Styrofoam insulated walls, crawl space. I have a main large metal duct with metal round ducts running off to the rooms. My son's room is furthest from the heater and his room is always cold. The air coming out of his register is luke warm, so I know he is losing heat through the duct work.

The duct work is not insulated, but is between the floor joist, so it has 2x6's on either side and is relatively close to the sub floor.

Should I insulate the duct work? If so, would traditional wall insulation be best to where I would insulate the entire span of the 2x6 run ( from the main duct to the register, about 12 feet or so, 16 inches wide.

Or should I use wrap around duct insulation or does it matter?

Thanks all for your help!

Crazykidsdad

crazykidsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #2

yes you can insulate anything under the house or in non treated areas you can go get duct mate its like a paste put that on all the seems and you can get insulation to it will help but i'm not sure if thats your problem sounds like your system needs to be air balanced.

hvac kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Not New, but New Here

Thank you for your reply..also...in layman's terms...what is that...and is that something I can do? If not, how much would I expect to pay for it to have done?
crazykidsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #4

ok sorry about the late reply. http://www.rcdmastics.com/6-Mastic.h...FQpvbAodpC2hAQ check out this site the is duct mate. http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/pac_ctnt...&videoid=66982 then check this out it shows you how to do it. and if your back room is not getting enough air then try closing some other registers in the house to give more air to the back room. and check the duct going to his room it might be diconnected or crushed.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #5

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...f200e8d6433b2a

you can go here to look at different tpyes of insulation to.
the insulation helps keep the hot air in the duct to be provided to the rooms. so with it not being insulated then hot air is leaking in places you dont want it.