Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cold Air from Vents

I live in Arizona and have a two story home with 2 A/C unit and are also heat pumps. The outside temperature at night time is in the low 40's and will gradually heat up to 60's during the day. I just noticed this morning that there is cold air coming out of all of air vents and the heat pump or A/C is not running. Is this normal or do you suspect a duct leak somewhere? This is the same issue I had in the summer and the A/C contractor would check the ducts and would find no leak, but I find it strange that cold air would be coming out of the air vents which feels to be the temp of what is outside.

Any help would be great.

jake200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #2

Cold Air from Vents

How forceful is the cold air coming out?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Union HVAC Tech.

Cold Air from Vents

Do you have a heat recovery ventilator or some other type of way of getting fresh air into the system? I would say that is how your getting outside air.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:12 AM   #4

Cold Air from Vents

It's not as strong as if the A/C or heater was on, but enough to feel it about 1 ft away from the vents.

Sorry, not sure on the heat recovery ventilator, but I do know there are vents on the front and back side of the house for the attic. Also when the heater (heat pump) is running I can hear the system making a swoosh sounds after about 5 minutes after starting. I know that is normal when it is colder out, is that the heat recovery ventilator?

Sorry also forgot to mentioned, when I first moved into the home and swapped out the original light fixtures in the bathrooms and putty the holes and the A/C unit would be running, the putty would bubble out. When the A/C unit would turn off the putty would suck in. I was told this is normal because of the pressure within the house and that it is sealed very well, but I also read that this is a sign of a leak. I don't think the builder wants to fix it.

Is this normal as well.
jake200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Union HVAC Tech.

Cold Air from Vents

No way you have some serious duct work issues. You really need to have a pro look into this for you. An HRV is a mixing box that takes in outside air and exchanges it with some return air to bring fresh air into the house they have been getting more commonin the last several years due to tight houses.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote