Cold Air Return For Basement Room - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cold air return for basement room

I am modifying an existing very large bedroom in the basement. The return air vent is on the far side of the room and I am putting up a wall to make a smaller bedroom. The HVAC equipment is in an adjancet room. A wall seperates the new room and the HVAC equipment. I don't want to cut into the "main supporting joist" and drop down into the wall cavity for the return vent. I don't thing that is even allowed in code.

I see two options:

1) Simple run from system, over joist into ceiling and place the return vent in the ceiling. Not best because I would rather have it closer to floor.

2)Run duct from equipment into wall below joist then feed it down the wall cavity. Would it be bad (sloppy or against code) to have a metal duct leave the mechancial room through a wall and not the ceiling joist?

I hope I was clear. What would you do?

Advertisement

mr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 802

I live in Winnipeg, a bit colder than you. You don,t have to have a return vent in downstairs rooms to be comfortable. One or two good sized supply is usually all that is needed. We sometimes install them in rec rooms as people sit there and get uncomfortable. Bedrooms people don't seem to mind. Personally I use baseboard heaters because they give you individual control and heat in Spring and Fall when the furnace runs very little. Very rare that I see a return in a bedroom here. Better to suck the air and circulate it upstairs. Robbing Peter to pay Paul if you take it from downstairs.

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Z View Post
I am modifying an existing very large bedroom in the basement. The return air vent is on the far side of the room and I am putting up a wall to make a smaller bedroom. The HVAC equipment is in an adjancet room. A wall seperates the new room and the HVAC equipment. I don't want to cut into the "main supporting joist" and drop down into the wall cavity for the return vent. I don't thing that is even allowed in code.

I see two options:

1) Simple run from system, over joist into ceiling and place the return vent in the ceiling. Not best because I would rather have it closer to floor.
It will work.. But you are not pulling the cold air off the floor..
2)Run duct from equipment into wall below joist then feed it down the wall cavity. Would it be bad (sloppy or against code) to have a metal duct leave the mechancial room through a wall and not the ceiling joist?
As long as it is properly sealed I don't know why it wouldn't be up to code. Unless you have a fire rated wall that the duct passes thru, then you will need a fire damper installed.

In the basements here... I like to pull the return from the floor..

I hope I was clear. What would you do?
xxxxx
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,560

Quote:
Most people know that carbon monoxide is odorless but if you have a heater that is not burning properly you can smell it.
If you can "smell" it. Then its been burning badly for a long time.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the quick replys. I think I will go with the duct from the takeoff of the return to the wall and drop it to the floor.

Can I use a flexable type duct from the unit to the wall or does it have to be rigid?
mr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

The code in our area does not allow the only acess to a furnace thru a bed room. just FYI for future reference.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,560

It can be flex.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote