A Coil Access - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

A Coil Access

Cleaning the AC coil is USUALLY not necessary if the homeowner PROPERLY maintained his air filters and kept his house and ducts clean. Best way to suspect a dirty coil is to do a temp rise test with the furnace running. If it is within parameters then no problema. Skilled techs can check the temp drop across the coil in cooling season and tell. If it ain't broke don't go fixin it. Box coils are nasty.

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

A Coil Access

Quick question the am.

Is cleaning the A coil a good part of yearly system maintenance?

Why do I ask? I have a Trane TWE040E13FB air handler. When installed, the line set was ran down and in front of the A-coil access panel. So the line set comes out of the cabinet and makes an immediate 90 degree down turn. It's about 2 inches from the access panel.

I tried to open the panel to look at the coil but can't remove the panel due to the line set being in the way. Is that normal? Should the acces panel be opened periodically to check the coil?

I can open the blower access panel and see the outside of the coil but can't see the inside that is facing the return plenum.

Advertisement

Earnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

A Coil Access

The best way to check is to do a temp rise test thru the furnace with it running. If it is within parameters then no problema. A skilled tech can check the temp rise across it in cooling season with the freon pressures and superheat and tell if it may be dirty. I have seen them go 20 or more years w/o cleaning and be okay if the filters where kept clean.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,690

A Coil Access

If its dirty. may have to access it through the return plenum.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

A Coil Access

Don't make multiple post about the same thing. I deleted your other post about it.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #6

A Coil Access

BT, I did not intentionally double post. Maybe the system had not updated when I checked so I posted again.

Ok, I understand that cleaning the coil is not normally necessary. But if it becomes necessary, the return plenum box will have to be removed? That doesn't sound right. Isn't that what the access door is for?

If you were installing the system, would you have blocked access to the coil by routing the line set as described? Or would you have taken coil access into account and routed the line set appropriately?

Can someone knowledgeable of this particular Trane air handler comment on access to the coil?
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

A Coil Access

Earnie. Your other post about this was in another thread. You were hijacking that thread. So it wasn't a problem with the system.

Always try to keep the line set out of the way of cleaning the coil. But sometimes. Its not possible.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

A Coil Access

I have mine set up, so that the line set goes out the back side of my Plenum, allowing a access panel on the front. There is enough room around my unit, so it seemed the best way for cleaning and inspection of the A-Coil.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #9

A Coil Access

Thanks guys.

To me, someone was not thinking when the unit was originally installed. The real question is why the problem wasn't corrected when the air handler was replaced a few years ago. Plus the old one was replaced with the exact same model.

Another item to add to the fix list.

Advertisement