Codes For Covering Up Furnaces... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Codes for covering up furnaces...

Hello,
I am a firefighter and I asked my fire Marshall's that I work with and they weren't sure. I recently got an old house in which they started a remodel. They tore off the drywall to remodel and left it uncovered. I want to replace the insulation and cover up the wall with hardibacker or some type of cement board I just wanted to make sure that it was ok to cover up the wall with this. Is there a certain minimum clearance there must be? Also is it ok to have the insulation so close to the heater vent? I have attached an image of the current wall/insulation.
Thanks,
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Codes for covering up furnaces...-image-3734024101.jpg  

Advertisement

socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
Hello,
I am a firefighter and I asked my fire Marshall's that I work with and they weren't sure. I recently got an old house in which they started a remodel. They tore off the drywall to remodel and left it uncovered. I want to replace the insulation and cover up the wall with hardibacker or some type of cement board I just wanted to make sure that it was ok to cover up the wall with this. Is there a certain minimum clearance there must be? Also is it ok to have the insulation so close to the heater vent? I have attached an image of the current wall/insulation.
Thanks,
Ian
The appliance will have the designated clearance requirements on the unit...

Advertisement

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
HOTDAWG

Rewards Points: 75

Without the manual or specs on the unit, we can only suggest clearances, most of the older furnaces want 1-2 inches off the back and sides. I would definitely use an approved insulation around the vent. If your able to post the make and model of the unit we can try and pull up the specs and have a look.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Is this furnace an electric furnace or a gas furnace. If it gas, then the IFGC has a minimum clearance requirements for all gas appliances. Hope that helps. You can purchase the International Fuel Gas Code Book from the International Code Council website. I think the paperback book is about $80.00. Good literature to have on hand if you are doing ANY projects around the house. This will keep you safe, plus, if you are a DIY, you can perform these projects and when you sell your house in the future, you won't have a bunch of gas code violations that need correcting for the new owner.
robwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote