Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Clearing a ComfortStar plus Model No. CM112B

Hello,

We have a two-year old ComfortStar mini split. It hasn't seen a lot of use. Last year, at the end of the summer, the unit began to leak water from the front of the unit. At the time, it had been running for several hours before it began leaking. My plumber, who installed the unit (and two others) in my home, told me that the unit might have to be blown out. He told me that, if I lifted the front cover, I would be able to see whether the catch pan was obstructed. I've removed the front cover and the small air filters but cannot see any pan. We're concerned about using the unit because it might leak. It's mounted high on a wall and was a mess to clean up. Can anyone help us with accessing the pan to check it? Also, how would you go about blowing out the drain lines?

I don't know whether this will help, but when I blow into the drain piping (from outside), I can hear a slight gurgling noise followed by a small dripping from the pipe. You can get an airflow in both directions; in and out. We have not used the unit this year.

Thank you for any help.

dwlodyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

Doesn't sound like the drain is plugged. Time to get the guy to come out and fix the problem.

sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 72

Yeah, it sounds like the drain line is not sloped properly to the outside or has a kink or trapped section. Minisplits can be hard to drain and the hose needs to have a good slope and no kinks. You can also get algae buildup in that hose if water sat in it and it may need removal and replacing or flushing with bleach.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #4

Hello again and thank you for your replies.

I believe that the drain lines are clear. I'm able to blow air through without any difficulty. I've followed the line into the basement and can see how the plumber gently sloped the line toward the outside pvc drain pipe. However, I can also see that the drain line has a dip in it that has perhaps a 3" radius. I can remember going outside and seeing the pvc pipe sticking out of the side of the house. I also remember pushing it in somewhat because I thought it protruded too far. I may have caused this dip in the drain. I never gave this a second thought because I figured that, since the drain pipe dropped perhaps 10' before it got to the cellar, simple water pressure would push by this dip. However, the more I look at it, I see that there is perhaps a 3' run of almost level drain before the drain line hits this dip. Maybe I was wrong. Perhaps the water pressure caused by the stack of water in the line is not enough to overcome the dip. When I look at the owner's manual, it advises against any sort of line that is not down-sloping. They, in fact. show in an illustration exactly the condition that I have and advise against it. Does this offer any insight?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

A lot of people and techs don't understand that water draining needs air to get in to the drain or it airlocks. That is why your house has a stack to vent the plumbing. I have had minisplits where I had to add a open tee where it left the unit to allow air to enter the drain so it could siphon and drain properly. The air pressure in the unit can interfere with the drain. Most of the time it is not a problem but add a kink or unsloped area and it upsets the balance and may not siphon or drain properly. That is real world knowledge and experience speaking.

Fix it according to their specs and have no kinks or traps and it should work.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies. Great explanation Yuri. I appreciate the help.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

Yur welcome.