Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Clearance between wood furnace and propane furnace

I have a new (last year) 95% efficient propane furnace. I would like to add a wood burning furnace in the basement. How close can the two furnaces be to each other?

I have an existing masonry chimney that I would like to remove and replace with a new masonry chimney (current one has no liner and is leaning at an angle outside). In the basement, it is located right next to my propane furnace. So I know the propane furnace will have to move, but how far away does it have to be? Or does it have to be in a separate room? My basement is pretty much just one big room.

I have seen people mount oil furnaces right next to a wood furnace. But oil is a liquid and doesn't release volatile fumes (or very little). I am worried that if there was a propane leak, it would be ignited by the wood furnace and blow the house up.

bhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhry View Post
I have a new (last year) 95% efficient propane furnace. I would like to add a wood burning furnace in the basement. How close can the two furnaces be to each other?

I have an existing masonry chimney that I would like to remove and replace with a new masonry chimney (current one has no liner and is leaning at an angle outside). In the basement, it is located right next to my propane furnace. So I know the propane furnace will have to move, but how far away does it have to be? Or does it have to be in a separate room? My basement is pretty much just one big room.

I have seen people mount oil furnaces right next to a wood furnace. But oil is a liquid and doesn't release volatile fumes (or very little). I am worried that if there was a propane leak, it would be ignited by the wood furnace and blow the house up.
Ayuh,... A gas leak from yer furnace will blow the house Sky High, regardless of the wood stove....

Years ago, We had a wood furnace right next to a gas furnace, just so's we could combine the plenums, 'n use the gas furnace's blower to push the wood heat through out the house...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:

The installation instructions for the wood stove will have recommended clearances, Personally I like to follow the manufactures recomodations.......
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
I wouldn't want them in the same house
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote