Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 170

Is cleaning internal HVAC (A coil, heat exchanger, etc.) a DIY job?

If I open up my HVAC unit located inside to do some maintenace cleaning, is that a job that I can easily do myself or should I leave it to a professional? I guess the work would include the effort of disassembling the unit and getting to the right parts which may not be easy itself. I am also wondering if the cleaning process would take special tools or chemical cleaners or if we are just talking about wiping things off with a wet rag or whatever.

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

the burner section would be brushed out from the front pushing in between the chambers,then the A coil right above it if you can remove a panel? if it is enclosed in the top of the furnace access is limited if your good with filter changes the coil should be clean..........................

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

I have a "Bryant Plus 80" furnace. The blower sits right below the burner unit and then there is a square box on top of that. I assume that houses some of the parts that would need to be inspected such as the A coil? It doesn't appear too difficult to open up (some sheet metal screws) although it looks to be sealed by adhesive putty and foil duct tape. I don't want to bother busting through the seal to open this if it is not worth the time or effort. I am good about filter changes but I have not had this unit "professionally inspected" in over ten years. It still runs fine but it seems like the third floor (this is a townhouse) is not getting as cool as it used to in years past (and that wasn't good either). I think this unit may not be suitably sized for the structure of this house but that is not the point right now. I think I am just wondering if doing some maintenace cleaning on the interior parts (I regularly clean the condenser unit outside) can improve the cooling performance just enough to make it more tolerable on the third floor.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

might want to check the rounds of the supply fan within the squirrel cage any dust build up or dirt willl cut back and the supply air .. 3rd fllor might get better but keep the routine up on the condenser and go light on the cleaners don't need to blast it with a hose but inside out 5 rows from the base of the condenser are the critical areas...especially on those real hot days.if you have access to the supply take offs might want to seal them if they are leaking cool supply air other then the space registers...eyeballing that A coil might give you peace of mind knowing its in good shape
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice.