DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cleaning Furnance / Duct Question

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  hvaclover 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone, I have been lurking here for the past months as I redo the house I bought a few months back. I have a question regarding cleaning Furnance/Vents. The house had a water/mold issue in the basement. The basement was flooded (was foreclosure). I have cleaned up the basement and ripped all the drywall/carpet out. I know the furnace was ran while other people were looking at the house and with the mold in the basement. The house was built in 91. My question is

1) Do I need to have someone come out and clean the ducts and the furance? I have heard that cleaning ducts will not get all of it out.
2) Is there a fogger that I could use to sanitize the ducts?
3) Is the UV lights as good as they claim?

If anyone else has any hints or suggestions i would be grateful..

Thanks
Josh

#2 ·
Speaking as a non-pro, I'll give you my experience.

The fact that you had water/mold in basement doesn't mean that your ducts are 'infected'.

I had a hidden leak--water was entering basement behind rim joist (behind insulation). The basement stank, but after sealing leak and running a dehumidifier for a few days, odor is gone.

Did have a slight odor out of a/c ducts on startup, but gone after a couple of days.

You could try running the heat for a bit.

V

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.