Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Cleaning Furnance / Duct Question


Hello Everyone, I have been lurking here for the past months as I redo the house I bought a few months back. I have a question regarding cleaning Furnance/Vents. The house had a water/mold issue in the basement. The basement was flooded (was foreclosure). I have cleaned up the basement and ripped all the drywall/carpet out. I know the furnace was ran while other people were looking at the house and with the mold in the basement. The house was built in 91. My question is

1) Do I need to have someone come out and clean the ducts and the furance? I have heard that cleaning ducts will not get all of it out.
2) Is there a fogger that I could use to sanitize the ducts?
3) Is the UV lights as good as they claim?

If anyone else has any hints or suggestions i would be grateful..

Thanks
Josh


Last edited by jcapone; 08-17-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: age of house
jcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 278
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Cleaning Furnance / Duct Question


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapone View Post
Hello Everyone, I have been lurking here for the past months as I redo the house I bought a few months back. I have a question regarding cleaning Furnance/Vents. The house had a water/mold issue in the basement. The basement was flooded (was foreclosure). I have cleaned up the basement and ripped all the drywall/carpet out. I know the furnace was ran while other people were looking at the house and with the mold in the basement. The house was built in 91. My question is

1) Do I need to have someone come out and clean the ducts and the furance? I have heard that cleaning ducts will not get all of it out.
2) Is there a fogger that I could use to sanitize the ducts?
3) Is the UV lights as good as they claim?

If anyone else has any hints or suggestions i would be grateful..

Thanks
Josh
Speaking as a non-pro, I'll give you my experience.

The fact that you had water/mold in basement doesn't mean that your ducts are 'infected'.

I had a hidden leak--water was entering basement behind rim joist (behind insulation). The basement stank, but after sealing leak and running a dehumidifier for a few days, odor is gone.

Did have a slight odor out of a/c ducts on startup, but gone after a couple of days.

You could try running the heat for a bit.

V

veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Cleaning Furnance / Duct Question


Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
Speaking as a non-pro, I'll give you my experience.

The fact that you had water/mold in basement doesn't mean that your ducts are 'infected'.

I had a hidden leak--water was entering basement behind rim joist (behind insulation). The basement stank, but after sealing leak and running a dehumidifier for a few days, odor is gone.

Did have a slight odor out of a/c ducts on startup, but gone after a couple of days.

You could try running the heat for a bit.

V
mold spores might have been pulled in to the duct system via the return air system.

A duct cleaning would most certainly be in order to eliminate and disinfect the spore and other debris.
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 278
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Cleaning Furnance / Duct Question


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
mold spores might have been pulled in to the duct system via the return air system.

A duct cleaning would most certainly be in order to eliminate and disinfect the spore and other debris.
Perhaps. In my case, no return in basement; furnace is direct vent.


V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Cleaning Furnance / Duct Question


Direct vent would be irrelevant. Return is basement can pull in spores at s and drive connections if not tight enough. Spore can even ride air currents up stairs and pulled in to room returns.
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Chicago, IL
 
Michael Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,037
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Cleaning Furnance / Duct Question


Take a look here:

http://www.forensic-applications.com/moulds/sok.html

And here:

http://www.forensic-applications.com/moulds/ducts.html

----------------------------------------------------------
I’m paid to be suspicious…

__________________
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Cleaning Furnance / Duct Question


Not debating the topic you posted.

Only that if mold is present (dangerous or not) that the duct system can distribute the spores thrown off by mold.

__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Increase duct size to cool room? tchristian HVAC 14 09-30-2008 02:33 PM
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 08:19 AM
Condensation in Wall: Can I Seal a Dryer Duct With Caulk? xquercus HVAC 5 07-01-2007 02:33 PM
question about cleaning a boiler room Piratehart General DIY Discussions 1 02-14-2006 12:58 PM
Duct sizing question Rob HVAC 1 06-04-2005 12:42 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.