Cleaning Evaporator Coil - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

Cleaning evaporator coil

My AC unit is probably 7 years old now? I think it was installed in 2003... but anyways... the previous home owners never cleaned it... the furnance is brand new so obviously its not "dirty" yet but I would really like to get the AC system cleaned up here before it gets hot out (yeah I know months away in Pennsylvania) but what is the proper way of cleaning it? Some things online suggested self cleaning foam you spray on it and let it work itself in then the condensation washes itself off when running... or is this something that can be shop vac'ed off with a soft brissel end?

I guess I should also ask what the best way to clean the condensor coil is also, I was told in the past just run water through it with the hose and wash it down just not with "forceful" water more like a "rain" spray setting... is this the best way or should this be cleaning foam sprayed?

last question... The AC is 7yrs old with NO maintenance by the previous owners, should I have the coolant levels checked at this point?

Advertisement

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Cleaning evaporator coil

Depend how dirty the indoor coil is.A good air filter will keep the coil fairly clean. And some simple green will clean it with no problem. But must be rinsed.

Outdoor coil. Simple green may or may not work.

After you clean the coils. And check up wouldn't hurt. But, unless you have a leak in the system. It shouldn't be low on charge.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote