Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Circulating wood heat

I just installed a Jotul wood insert with a blower.I was wondering if I could duct this heated air(approx130deg.) into the return duct on my central unit to circutate the heat throughout the house?If so, how could I accomplish this?

Thanks,Glenn

G Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Circulating wood heat

How far is it to the return?

Also, how many cfm does the blower make? A small quantity of hot air does less than a large quantity of warm air.

My strategy so far is to have a ceiling fan in the room with the stove near the door to the room. The fan, when on, blows the hot air down and out (the way a ceiling fan normally works). This down and out motion of the air pushes it into the next room.

I tried running the HVAC system to move the air through the house, and it works to some extent, but not a lot. I think the return duct is acting like a heat sink and taking most of the warmth out of the air before it gets to the air handler. The return duct in my house is in contact with the ground.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #3

Circulating wood heat

The return is about 12ft. away from the stove. The ceilings are 11.5 ft. The air handler is in the attic.The stove has twin blowers @ 90 cfm each.Thanks for the reply.

Glenn
G Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Circulating wood heat

If the return is in the same room, then try running the HVAC fan and a ceiling fan. See what happens. In my case, after 5 or 6 hours the temperature in the far corner of the house had gone up 3 F from 62 to 65. The room with the stove was about 78F.

On woodstove forums they don't seem to think those stove mounted blowers are really worth having. My "plan" is to keep things the way they are for the time being, and learn what the stove is capable of first -- that way I'll have a baseline to compare any changes too. If I do put in that extra duct and it doesn't help I want to know it so I can reverse the changes.

Last night my wife (who is sick) kept complaining that it was too cold. It was about 83F, so she's probably sicker than she's been letting on. Anyway, when we went to bed I left the ceiling fans going in the room with the stove, and overnight the temperatures through the house seem to have stabilized at about 72. My room is about 22 x 15 and I have two fans. I leave the one near the stove blowing up on low, and the one near the door blowing down. As the room warms up I turn the speed on that one up.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #5

Circulating wood heat

I tried something somewhat similar, but am having little success. I installed a 4" duct with an inlet at 7' height on the main floor of my house where I have my XVR-II stove. I ran this duct through the floor into the basement, right down to the basement floor, and installed an inline "booster" fan to draw the warm air downstairs and heat my basement. It's well insulated with 1" foam inside and 2" outside, but I cannot get the temperature to rise more than a couple of degrees running the fan all day, does anyone know what I have done wrong, or not done right?

PS: The basement is not closed, the stairwell is open back to the main floor.
patrick.ogrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,710

Circulating wood heat

You used 4" duct.

Doesn't move a lot of air.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote