Chimney Vented Wall Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Chimney vented wall furnace

Anyone know of a wall furnace / space heater that can be vented to a standard brick / clay lined chimney. Williams and Cozy wall units only allow B-Vent single story. There floor mount units can go to a chimney but not the wall units.

Advertisement

JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 872

The reason that they want B Vent from what I know is that the flue gas in modern units is not nearly as hot as the old school type and will condense in a cold single wall liner and freeze up etc. B vent is the best. Liners can corrode, get holes and you can get weird intermittent pressure trip problems. Let me know if you want the rest of that story.

Advertisement

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

We just have a lot of homes in our area with wall units vented to chimneys and when it is time to update most owners dont want to or dont have the space to go to a floor mounted unit. Re locating the gas and electric for a direct vent is expencive also. I am trying to come up with a solution for there problem. The only other option is a new vent through the roof (not my fav) Of corse when I wont put in the wall unit to the chimney and explain why the still hire others to do it knowing it is wrong. Oh well such is life.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 872

Yah, until there is a fire or other event on the news. Better to stay away from trouble. I am inheriting a wickedly complex Lennox humiditrol system. Customer bought over $12,000 of high end equipment from another dealer who cannot commission it/set it up properly and "lost" his phone. Easy to sell stuff, not so much fun to make it work when you don't take the time to learn what you are doing. I enjoy a good challenge and charging by the hr for this one.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote