Chimney To Pipe Adapter? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 782

Chimney to pipe adapter?

I have a natural gas furnace and water heater. They are currently vented into a masonary chimney. I need to eleminate the structure above the roof line as it will be in the valley of new roof. The plan is to switch to 6" round pipe in the attic and elbow it away from the valley to penetrate the roof. Is there a prefered means to accomplish this?

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 836

Chimney to pipe adapter?

Get a professional chimney co. to do it. There are a bunch of code issues /clearances to roof lines and peaks etc and if not done properly you can have downdraft and pressure switch tripping issues. The water htr may not draft properly and spill fumes etc etc. Cannot go into the code stuff as there is too much and we would need to see the job.

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #3

Chimney to pipe adapter?

This is a DIY site. Hire it out is an unacceptable reply here. I can look up codes and follow instructions. Next.
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 266

Chimney to pipe adapter?

Without seeing (being there to look and measure etc.) I'm going to venture a guess that you're going to need to install a properly sized double wall Class B chimney from the appliances to the termination above the roof.

The code issues you're going to run into will start with the local codes and then progress through the applicable mechanical codes, fire codes (some municipalities get very touchy when it comes to chimney modifications from experience with fighting attic fires), venting requirements and then of course you'll need to get past the code inspector.

Start with asking questions of your local code enforcement agency and then research everything they require so you get an understanding of why certain restrictions etc. are what they are. Looking up codes and following them in this case is atune to "close enough" way of doing things. Why? Because, depending on what part of the code you research it may or may not give you the entire list of requirements. The "knowledge" comes from experience of having done it time and time again and seeing what others have attempted and having to redo or repair the damage because of the little things that were overlooked.

This project will be one of those "out of sight, out of mind" kind of projects once it's done. If not done correctly the first indications usually are severe structural damage at the least escalating all the way to carbon monoxide poisoning and/or death.

Last edited by old_squid; 07-06-2013 at 12:35 PM.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old_squid For This Useful Post:
yuri (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #5

Chimney to pipe adapter?

I have already read the applicable code requirements and understand what materials and clearances are specified. What I have is an old house with a masonry chimney that the furnace and water heater vent through. It is cement block construction roughly 2' square and has brick on it above the roof line. It was originally built too short so someone added an extension by cementing a 6" pipe into the liner and capping it. The new roof will have completely different geometry and results in a valley going right through the chimney location. Also the brick work is beyond repair and would need to be replaced. Much better to dispense with the chimney and use a modern vent pipe. I thought there might be someone here that was already familiar with such an operation and could point me in the right direction. I want to leave the block intact to clear the insulation level then convert to 6" pipe to offset away from the impending valley and go through the roof.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Chimney to pipe adapter?

Run a B Vent up the old chimney, then through the roof. Or do like I did and convert to a 95% furnace and power vent water heater, to eliminate the roof penetration. Here you go for the info Polecat http://www.mtlfab.com/bvent.php They also have a Sizing table on the site.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
PoleCat (07-06-2013), yuri (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #7

Chimney to pipe adapter?

Perfect solution. So simple I may have never thought of it untill after spinning my wheels everywhere else. I would like to update the furnace but we are replacing the roof from the plate up and our resources are tapped on that. Thanx

Advertisement

gregzoll (07-06-2013), oh'mike (07-06-2013)