Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Chimney Draft inducer question

For a wood burning FP. I have a log cabin with a big stone FP. They obviously did something wrong when they constructed it or changed out the firebox because it doesn't draft well and i get smoke in the cabin. A few things to note first. The cabin is 60 years old and is in Orange Cty NY. Not sure when the fire box was replaced but its not original. Yes, I did have the chimney swept when I first purchased the place and the chimney guy noted the flue problem and said I was looking at about $3k to properly fix it. Basically whatever they did they somehow restricted the flue size to about 50%. On really cold nights it drafts OK and I always pre heat the flue with a wad of newspaper I hold up there.

I am looking into mechanical draft inducers and wanted to get opinions from people that may have used them, installed them, etc. Some are very expensive $1300+. I did find one though that was only about $500 because its a side mount motor so nothing mechanical comes in contact with the flue gasses. The place is http://heat-booster.com so I'm jsut not sure. I just don't want to spend $1300+ and then pay an electrician prob $300 to install it if there is a better way. Also, there is an existing chimney cap in place which is in great shape and there really isn't any tree branches in the way up top to obstruct airflow. Thanks, sorry for the long note!

Vic

ruhappy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
DIY staff

How about a little more info?

How large is the old flue?

What kind of insert was installed? What brand and model? What flue size does the unit need?

A chimney flue liner of the correct size might cure your problem---the old flue sounds like it is to large for your newer insert.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

This is what the technician that cleaned the chimney said. I've attached a photo he took as well.

The flue tile run should be located directly over the top portion of the Heatilator smoke chamber, thereby providing a smooth, unrestricted pathway for the flue gases. You’ll notice in the photo that this is not the case with your fireplace/chimney.

Because a significant portion of the cross sectional area of the flue is “cut off”, this is going to result in a restriction, with the most obvious manifestation being smoke spillage back into the room.

These occurrences can be random or frequent, depending upon other conditions such as the size of the fire, draft conditions at a given time, etc. The other major concern centers on products of combustion being allowed to accumulate in areas they ought not.

As you look at the photo, the “partition” you see running left to right is actually the rear top portion of the Heatilator smoke chamber. The 12:00 side of the flue tile should be in line with this. As you can see, this is not the case.

Approximately 50% of the flue tile area is “cut off” due to the way the system was installed. Also note the area to the rear of the actual fireplace which is visible in the photo. This is most likely a combination of rough masonry and insulation remnants.

Again, this is an region that is outside the containment area of the flue gases, and is intended to remain that way. You can see from the creosote deposits that this is not the case. As I mentioned when we spoke, it would be our recommendation that you either have some degree of a fireplace restoration done, or consider a fireplace insert and accompanying liner system if continued use of the fireplace is desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Chimney Draft inducer question-chimney-issue.jpg  

Last edited by oh'mike; 12-01-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added spaces
ruhappy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
DIY staff

I'm going to move this to 'HVAC'--This is way beyond my knowledge--I believe this one will need on site professional help.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #5

Do a google search for fields controls draft inducer. Fields is the name of the company
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote