Chimney Cap - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
diy'er

Rewards Points: 10

Chimney Cap

Had a Trane tech out to service my furnace. He had to change out the Gas valve. Thanks to all for your help in tracking down the problem.

After the service call, he was trying to sell me on a cap for my chimney. This only is used by the gas furnace itself. He explained that it should have a cap to keep rain and other debris from falling into the pipe. Kinda sounds logical, but none of my neighbors have a cap on their chimney's and I have been in the house 11 years with no problems. Also, I had a tech out 3 years ago, before I started DYI ing, and he never mentioned a cap. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance...

Advertisement

jvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 872

Chimney Cap

He is correct, the cap keeps rain, sometimes birds, squirrels and other stuff out. The caps on the neighbors burnt out/off too and they should be fixed also. If I do a code inspection on a group home or rental etc I won't pass it/give them a clear approval tag until it is replaced.

Advertisement

joecaption (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 686

Chimney Cap

I have one customer that refuses to let me put a cap on there chimmney because they do not like the look of one.
So far I've had to go there twice at $50.00 an hour to get a bird out of the house.
Every year they can not get there gas logs to start, I go there in there's leaves on them and the burners are rusted out from moisture.
But still refuse to let me install a $37.00 cap so it never happens again.
All that snow and rain getting in there is going to rust things out from the inside.
Sound you've only had one person there that has common sence.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Chimney Cap

$50/hr, heck most rates are $100/hr here and up to $200/hr in the larger cities. I had one get thru a chimney out the draft diverter and was flying around a expensive house in River Heights. Lady wanted me to come out on a Sunday. What the heck did she want me to do? Catch it with a butterfly net? Went there anyway and Mr. Bird finally got flushed out the front door. Had a squirrel do a kamikaze routine down a chimney once. Had to pull his deceased silly azz out with needle nose pliers when he could not get thru the ventor fan. Ouch.

People are strange, got one very wealthy lady who does not want her dying old 20 yr old AC replaced to a new one that would actually cool her house because she is afraid the look of the new one won't be the same as the old one and will interupt the Chi and harmony of her perfectly crafted back yard with fish pond etc. So she sweats.

Last edited by yuri; 01-31-2013 at 01:47 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 686

Chimney Cap

First time I hear a customer even mention Chi I'm out of there.
I got suck working for 8 hours helping one customer moving in furniture with the help of someone she had flown in just to set up the rooms.
Every piece had to be rearraged 3 or 4 times. They showed up with diagrams.
I could not get out of there fast enough.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Experienced HVAC Tech

Rewards Points: 250

Chimney Cap

I had a customer who brought in a spiritual medium because they thought the ghost of the previous owner was causing the basement to not get warm. she claims it fixed it but i think adding that return air may have contributed too haha
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 266

Chimney Cap

I never had a chimney cap as the builders of my home took the cheap, easy way out in everything they did. All I ever had was a rain cover over the furnace vent, but one day a couple years ago I started hearing a "cheep, cheep" sound coming from the utility room. After checking further I found that a sparrow had somehow made it's way into the furnace roof vent and slid down, ending up in the furnace ductwork. I had to take the front ductwork apart to free it but managed to remove it unharmed, and set it free. I've since added a screen over the chimney hole to prevent this from happening again, but will add a proper chimney cap when the weather warms up enough where I can climb up on the roof.
By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for furnace chimney caps? I understand stainless steel is the way to go but specific brands or types would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Chimney Cap-img_2163.jpg   Chimney Cap-screen-place.jpg  

Last edited by Dave Sal; 02-01-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Chimney Cap

happens all the time especially if you have trees nearby. I have had 3 of them get in there and needed to take a shop vac and suck them out in pieces. sometimes the furnace will fire and roast them.

Advertisement