Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

Share |

Chimney

I am getting ready to put a new roof on and in the process want to eliminate an non-used, exsitng chimney. My plan is to disassemble it brick by brick until the top is inside the structure. Once inside I was hoping to cap off the interior somehow to prevent any sort of air movement in or out. The chimney used to be shared by a wood stove and boiler, big no no! Now it is unused because the new wood stove will be vented directly through the roof using triple wall & the boiler will be removed. Any possible issues?? I'm sure I have to be missing something!

Justin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Chimney

If you are doing major renos why not remove the whole thing down to ground level and reclaim some valuable real estate.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #3

Chimney

Well I am going to keep it because I already have plans to wrap the exposed brick inside with faux stone because the wood stove sits right in front of it. Plus I like having the marketability of being able to just build that thing right back out of the roof in a weekend or so without the major reno's that I am going through now! But yeah I see your point.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Chimney

You may want to use the space from it for a duct chase for future wiring of a home theater system etc. Good to run plumbing thru. As an old abandoned chimney it may be rather useless.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #5

Chimney

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure that there would not be any sort of obvious reason that this would be a bad idea. I am still trying to figure out how to seal this thing off, I am probably just going to cut a piece of ply to fit and seal with caulk to prevent any unwanted air movement.