Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #1

Share |

Cheap Heater - 32F min

Does anybody know a cheap electric heater one can stick in a room and set to 32F minimum? I need this to keep my water pipes from freezing in a bathroom.

jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #2

Cheap Heater - 32F min

Not exactly. But there is a device that plugs into a receptacle which you can plug a heater or heat lamp into. The "device" is available with different temperatures which turns on whatever is plugged into it. Down here it's used in well houses with a heat lamp. Very reliable, very inexpensive. I'll post the link when I find it. Now there are pump house heaters specifically designed for what you want....but those are not as cheap as the plug in type.

Last edited by Missouri Bound; 10-23-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #3

Cheap Heater - 32F min

Look up Milk House heater on the net.
Northern Tools, Wal-Mart, any box store will have them.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #4

Cheap Heater - 32F min

The milk house heater will work fine. The only issue will be dialing it in for the temperature you want. The device I was talking about is like this.

Shop EasyHeat Plug-In Thermostat at Lowes.com
Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #5

Cheap Heater - 32F min

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
The only issue will be dialing it in for the temperature you want.
The problem with heaters I find is that they don't set their minimum at 32F. Their minimum is usually in the low 40's. Is there a reason for that? I heard that pipes can be damaged by temps as low as 45. However I live in Los Angeles where it gets that cold in winter and nobody in town has any special protection for their pipes. This heater is for the ranch in the surrounding mountains where it regularly gets very cold 20F from 2-5AM in the middle of the night.
jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Cheap Heater - 32F min

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwashere View Post
The problem with heaters I find is that they don't set their minimum at 32F. Their minimum is usually in the low 40's. Is there a reason for that? I heard that pipes can be damaged by temps as low as 45. However I live in Los Angeles where it gets that cold in winter and nobody in town has any special protection for their pipes. This heater is for the ranch in the surrounding mountains where it regularly gets very cold 20F from 2-5AM in the middle of the night.
When its 20 degrees outside, and a room has an inside temp of 32, the temp in the walls can be close to 20 degrees.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

Cheap Heater - 32F min

Can I make a suggestion if you guys use electric portable heaters for anything?
Many years ago when I was little, we had an electric heater running in our living room and the plug melted and caught fire. To make matters worse, the breaker didnt trip, we had to run out and shut the breaker off.

Anytime I buy an electric heater now, I cut the plug off and wire a heavy duty 3 prong plug to the end, although the 3rd (ground plug) isnt doing anything, it gives extra support for holding the plug in the outlet. Also make sure the wall receptacle is not worn out, very cheap to replace for extra insurance.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #8

Cheap Heater - 32F min

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post

Anytime I buy an electric heater now, I cut the plug off and wire a heavy duty 3 prong plug to the end

...and therby both invalidating the warranty and the UL listing....not such a good move.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #9

Cheap Heater - 32F min

Not really bothered about warranty on a 25 dollar heater. As far as UL goes, are you saying you've never replaced a plug on anything? I guarantee a heavy duty replacement plug will stay cooler than the factory rubber POS plug.

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote