Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Changing from an old to new thermostat

I have a Trane XE 1200 and I'm trying to replace an old thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH6350D. I thought that I could just use the old wiring color code from the exhisting but they do not match with the new Honeywell.
Here is how the old one looked;
HVAC wiring - W Y G R
Theremostat - O B Y W G RH RC (7 terminals)
So in case the letters do not match up to one above the other, white wire to O, Yellow to Y and Y and W had a jumper and RH and RC also have a jumper, green wire to G, and red wire to the RC terminal.
The new Honeywell has a connection like this; Y2 W2 G W - Y R RC (8 terminals and the "-" terminal says "not used"
Could someone help me out on this please?

kenskiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

Lets start from the beginning. How many wires are there connected to the old thermostat (Pictures work really good in these situations), where are the wires connected to what terminals, regardless what color they are (this is the reason that white masking tape & ink pens were invented, same goes for the little labels that come with new thermostats).

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (08-08-2013), jmon (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,270

Turn off power to ac/heating first before doing anything. Make sure you mark wires properly before you remove them. This video maybe helpful, if not post some pics for the pro's to see. Thanks.

replacing old theromostat with new one
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Lets start from the beginning. How many wires are there connected to the old thermostat (Pictures work really good in these situations), where are the wires connected to what terminals, regardless what color they are (this is the reason that white masking tape & ink pens were invented, same goes for the little labels that come with new thermostats).
Is this a heat pump?

From the OP, he's got
white = O terminal
unused = B terminal
yellow = W+Y terminals
red = RC+RH terminals
green = G terminal

If the system is working properly, does he need to track down those four wires in the air handler, or should we already know where those wires end up? (I think white goes to the OD unit's reversing valve signal, yellow to the heat and cool terminals in the AH and the contactor signal in the OD, green to fan in the AH, and red to the 24v power source in the AH, but I'm confused as to how the blue/common wire is handled, unless it runs to the outdoor unit but not the t-stat)

It sounds like he has a single stage system and a multistage replacement t-stat and the 2nd stage terminals are confusing him.

Last edited by taxmantoo; 08-08-2013 at 05:06 PM.
taxmantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys! After all of that we had already had an hvac guy coming the next day but I was trying to head him off at the pass and get it done without having to spend the cash. Good thing is that I now know how to do it!
kenskiaz is offline   Reply With Quote