Changed Gas Ball Valve And York Furnace Won't Fire, Please Help. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Changed gas ball valve and York furnace won't fire, please help.

Hi, I changed a leaky valve in the gas pipe leading to the furnace, I purged the line and attached back to the furnace, the ignitor fires but I cannot get the pilot light to engage. It is a York furnace from the 90s and has Honewell pilot board control and gas valve.

I cannot get the pilot to light, could someone please offer advice, should I:

1. Purge the gas control valve somehow? Did I trap air in the pilot light valve?
2. Could I have broken either of the Honewell components by replacing the main valve and then trying to start up the system again?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

philsoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 876

Post the model # and some pics of the gas valve , burners and front of furnace with both doors off.

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #3

Hey, thanks so much for response!

Here are some pics. I tried to restart it again today, and it sounded like it was making a valve clicking noise (I had gas shutoff for a week), dont know its driving me insane. I did not touch anything beside changing the valve, dont know why it quit.

model#: P3USD12N08001A
valve: Honeywell VR8440P 2039
pilot/valve control : S86E

The pilot control module install manual states to do a test to determine if either the valve or the control is malfuctioning, if the spark is present. I can do this multimeter test, but it doesnt seem very precise, i'm affraid to start replacing parts and the furnace to still not work. I am cnsidering getting a new unit, but its hell more of a kob to do and the temps are in the 40s at night here, so I'm stuck. Thanks again for help.
Attached Thumbnails
Changed gas ball valve and York furnace won't fire, please help.-01front_off.jpg   Changed gas ball valve and York furnace won't fire, please help.-02burner.jpg   Changed gas ball valve and York furnace won't fire, please help.-03burner-pilot-.jpg   Changed gas ball valve and York furnace won't fire, please help.-04burner-pilotlower.jpg   Changed gas ball valve and York furnace won't fire, please help.-05sparkon.jpg  

Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

probably got dirt in the pilot from disturbing the furnace.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

There should be a terminal PV on that S86 control. see if you get 24 volts AC from it to the GRD, ground terminal when it is sparking to light the pilot. Try reset it at least 6X as it may take that long for the air to bleed thru the gas valve and pilot tube.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

What's going on with the fifth pic? It's up side down and I see the tell tale glow of a pilot light...BTW that is a vintage 1980s furnace...not well maintained either.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #7

Hey im not sure if I'm doing this right, but I wasnt able to take the control out without breaking the bracket, so I tried to read the AC between the GRD and PV on the end terminals on the valve instead of on the control, not sure if that makes a difference, both modules are connected by PV and GRD (green wire).

I set te multimeter to V~ *200 knob reading and what I got was juset a bunch of mumbo jumbo readings ranging from -194.0 to +190, it was all over the place, then other times it would flash 2, 20, 32 and circulate between thse values.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #8

Hey I just took the off the burners and vacumed everything, still wont come on.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Vacuuming out won't clean the pilot orifice. You will have to take the pilot apart . Good luck getting the orifice out . It's probably rusted in
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #10

Hey guys, I got the pilot to turn on once, but once it turned on it looked like it was raging fire inside, I turned off and it hasn't fired again.

The only way I was able to do it, was to make a call for heat with the main line valve closed, I then heard a click from the pilot valve and I opened the main valve, that's when it turned on.

I tried the call for heat with the main valve open before I make the cAll for heat, but the pilot valve doesn't click and it doesn't come on.

Any comments ?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

time to get out the volt meter.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

Probably the regulator in the gas valve failed when you dropped the pressure to change the valve. Used to having constant pressure on it. If you opened the main valve too fast it wacked the regulator and it finally croaked from old age etc. VERY VERY unsafe now. I have had those valves get intermittent sticking problems. That S86 control should be tested properly by a Pro to make sure the flame failure circuit is working. Time for a new furnace IMO unless safety is not a concern for you.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #13

Hi,

unfortunately I'm a bit poor right now so i have to do the work myself, either fixing this old furnace or installing a new one. I looked at some new - yorks and lennox, still looks like more of a job then the noritz water heater i just installed.

In any case, I did just start the furnace, again by turning off the main valve and waiting for some time. Then i make the call for heat and i hear the valve open, at which point I turn the main valve and the pilot comes on, then the burners lite. It did have a sort of a hiss or a whistle to it with the cover off. I let it run for a minute, then I turned it off. I tried to make the call for heat again and the pilot did not come on again. Waiting right now again, for what seems like the drop of pressure in the pipe between the main valve and the valve body inside the furnace. Seems to me like I have too much pressure in the line or something, but I didnt change anything.

Questions:

- Can I just change the valve body without changing that archaic honeywell s86e? All these are abolete but I really dont want to mess with the control box.

- If I do get a new furnace,

- Can I get a smaller unit with higher efficiency? Currently I have this old thing and its 80,000 btu, can I get a 60,000 thats 90%+ efficient?

- can I reuse the current vent system installed? This furnace blows ac up through a coil, and blows the heat out the back into a huge vent stack, can I get a similar furnace to fit with light modifications, or do I have to convert to blow heat from the left side like some units I've seen.

Thank you for your time.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,730

I think you need your incoming gas pressure checked. Sounds like its higher then it should be. And teh valve can't open against it.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Around here the gas meter and regulator are owned by the gas company. If it is the regulator as suggested they'll replace it for free.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote