Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Change furnace vent type

Hello,

I am hoping someone here can help. I recently removed a wall in my kitchen and the gas forced air vent was inside of it. This is fine and the vent works, however I removed the wall to put an island in and would like to relocate this vent to the wall.

I believe I need a power vent system (I have one now on my gas water heater which vents through the side) the distance between furnace and wall is about 6' and I would run it right next to the one for the water heater.

I have a few questions I can't seem to find answers to.

1. Can you add a power vent to a furnace which did not originally intend to have one?
2. Can I use the same blower fan / piping that I'm currently using for my hot water heater?
3. Do they sell universal kits or would I have to buy one specific to my furnace?
4. If they do make universal kits, where would be the best online retailer to buy one from?

Thank you all in advance.

frank_aspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,734

Change furnace vent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_aspen View Post
Hello,

I am hoping someone here can help. I recently removed a wall in my kitchen and the gas forced air vent was inside of it. This is fine and the vent works, however I removed the wall to put an island in and would like to relocate this vent to the wall.

I believe I need a power vent system (I have one now on my gas water heater which vents through the side) the distance between furnace and wall is about 6' and I would run it right next to the one for the water heater.

I have a few questions I can't seem to find answers to.

1. Can you add a power vent to a furnace which did not originally intend to have one?

Yes, you can install a power ventor for it. Presuming its an 80% furnace.

2. Can I use the same blower fan / piping that I'm currently using for my hot water heater?

If your water heater is vented with PVC, no. You will beed to use metal pipe for the furnace. Presuming its an 80% furnace.

3. Do they sell universal kits or would I have to buy one specific to my furnace?

Yes.

4. If they do make universal kits, where would be the best online retailer to buy one from?

Thank you all in advance.
Search for Tjern power ventors.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,356

Change furnace vent type

I would be VERY careful and concerned about the gas code and also getting it inspected by the gas authorities. It is illegal for non gas fitters to alter the venting like that in Canada and especially doing something which can be VERY dangerous like your operation. It may require an inspection in your State. If something goes wrong later you could be liable. Not something I would recommend. If it is not setup properly or works properly you can get CO poisoning.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Change furnace vent type

Thank you all for the QUICK replies!!!

It's starting to sound like something I might end up having a pro do.

Before I go that route does anyone know of a good easy to install kit (yes I do think it's an 80% furnace) ? Hopefully one with all the switches and exhaust and fan built in?
frank_aspen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, hvac, power vent, remodel