Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Exclamation

Central A/C trouble in Las Vegas, HELP!!

My central air conditioner seems to be functioning normally (cycles on and off to blow cold air), but the other day after it cycled off, I could still hear it running. I tried to turn it off at the thermostat, which did not work. Only by turning off the breaker switch at the house panel did it shut off.

I have replaced the thermostat thinking it was faulty, however the problem still remains.

To recap; even when the A/C is not blowing cold air I can hear the unit on the roof running, and only by turning off the breaker switch will it stop. Is it possible the blower motor relay needs to be replaced?

Please, any suggestions would be helpfully. I need to fix this problem on my own too since I am unemployeed and can't afford to call a repair technician. Thanks in advance!

Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 82

The 24 volt contactor which is inside the unit may be sticking. They are rated in different amperages, 20/25/30 and higher so you need to get the correct one. Best to get the OEM one. Which brand/make of unit is it?

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

"Which brand/make of unit is it? " - Yuri

[edit] After checking, it is a Carrier model# 48DL003-8, volts/ph = 208-230/1, 60-hz

After some on-line searching I found a pdf file of this units installation/service instructions. There is a chart which lists this units FLA (full load amps) as 18.5 If you could confirm if these numbers sound right, I'd appriciate it.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...42&submit.y=13 will one of these contactors listed here work?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Recluse; 09-06-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote