Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Central A/C not cooling. Ice on outside unit.

Two days ago I noticed low battery on the Thermostat. We have it set at 78 but the temp was showing 80. Difference is set at 1 degree. I replaced the batteries and reset the thermostat. Then Reprogrammed it. The temp in the house is still shwoing 82 or 83. The thermostat is set to 78/Cool/Auto.
No cool air coming in though. Went outside yesterday, noticed that the fan is running continously 24 hrs and that there is ice on the pipe coming into the house.
What could be wrong ? So far my guess is low freon or bad thermostat ? anything I could do or should I call a repair men. I do have another working unit so should I try swapping their thermostat and see if it helps.

titanic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

There is likely nothing wrong with your thermostat. If you have ice at the condensing unit your evaporator coil has turned into an iceburg. My guess would be you have very little airflow currently. You either have a plugged filter or evaporator due to a lack of maintenance or you have a low refrigerant charge. Probably low charge. You need to turn your fan from auto to on and let it run to thaw the evaporator. You also need to turn the system off at the thermostat so the condenser does not run. You will need to have the system checked by an HVAC contractor.

SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #3

does that mean a clogged filter ? I am at work right now but feel like running back and checking the filter
Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #4

i called for a repair man. he filled it with 3lb frean but then also said that there is a leak in the coil ( inside unit ). bummer. that coil repair runs $1300. Anyone has any ideas on what to do about that ?
Also the person charge 50$/lb of freon. Is freon that expensive now ?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Not sure what the going rate for a pound of freon is in your area. May or may not be high. As far as the coil, 1300 is crazy for a repair unless it includes replacing the evaporator.
You may consider not repairing, no laws that say you have to. But then again,look what freon costs.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #6

Wink

i got the freon in the outside unit on Friday. and it started to cool. the service person told methat i still had 10 days to fix the evap coil if i wanted take the $250/- credit ( charge for the 3lb freon install ). as luck would have it i had roofers come in the next day on saturday to replace the old roof. they sent a nail through the a/c pipe in my attic. so on saturday night i was again ot of a/c. not knowing the root cause i went back screaming at the repair man from friday.
thinking it was the evap coil that had leaked i shopped for it exhaustively. finally got someone to come and replace it for $775/- cool savnig from $1300 initial estimate. when the new company came out on monday they also found the nail hole, cost me extra $50 to fix that. but i got a new evap coil. hey!!
happy ending still in a bad situation. total cost $1075/- bad but still better than initial $1300. and best part i am cool now.