Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

Share |

Central A/C Issue - Help Diagnose!

So we bought a house (ranch) in February and have had a few A/C issues since we moved in, here is the brief history:

Memorial Day weekend:
Came home from work and house was warm and smelled a bit funny. I notice the Condenser outside was still going, but there was hardly any air coming out of the vents (the air that was coming out was COLD). Had a HVAC professional out and he tested my freon and said there was plenty in there and that I probably needed a new system because it was so old (almost 18 years old). I told him thanks for nothing.

I went up into the attic where the evaporator and blower are and noticed that several of the pipes at the evaporator coil were frozen. Shut the system down and turn on just the fan. The fan turned on and began to blow for a few minutes and then slowly died down again.

Diagnosed the issue has a failed blower motor and began to work to take out the blower. Reached the motor and noticed a very strong smell and removed a corroded capacitor.

Replaced the capacitor and the unit ran like a charm until 2 Weeks ago.

Then, same issue. Force of air blowing and the suction of the air in the return would slowly die down after a few hours, though air coming out would remain cold.

However, this time when I ran just the fan, the fan would run flawlessly and never slowed down.

If I shut down the cooling system for a few hours and then turned it back on, it will cool again for another few hours, and then the air would die down again.

I took a look at the evaporator coil last night and didn't notice any excess dirt or buildup. I cleaned it with compressed air and the spray you get at home depot. I also made sure the condensation drain was clear.

Just about stumped here. What else should I look for?

jlukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #2

Did you check your filters? Air flow problem or maybe now your are low on freon? probably air flow!

wetbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbar View Post
Did you check your filters? Air flow problem or maybe now your are low on freon? probably air flow!
Yes, I've changed the filter multiple times since we moved in (once every 2 months)
Old 08-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
30 year tech

What kind of filter are you using?
hvac122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac122 View Post
What kind of filter are you using?
3M Filtrete
Old 08-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
30 year tech

That's a very restrictive filter. I would highly recommend using somthing else and see what happens.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
That's a very restrictive filter. I would highly recommend using somthing else and see what happens.
Thanks. Should I just go with the fiberglass filters then?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
30 year tech

If you want to use a pleated filter try getting one at HD or Menards like a big blue. Just stay away from the filterette and see if that helps.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Really depends on which one they got. 3m Filtrete is a brand name, but using a cheap fiberglass filter, you may as well just leave it out. As for the store brand, they are in reality 3m filters, just branded with the store's name.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
30 year tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
Really depends on which one they got. 3m Filtrete is a brand name, but using a cheap fiberglass filter, you may as well just leave it out. As for the store brand, they are in reality 3m filters, just branded with the store's name.
Not quite sure what your saying but all filters are not made by 3M.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Not quite sure what your saying but all filters are not made by 3M.
3m Filtrete is a brand name, just like McDonald's, Green Giant, etc. A lot of the store branded filters that appear to be like the 3m filtrete, are manufactured by 3m. It is the same with tape products that have a store name on them, and that product appears to be similar to the like product of the same quality.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
3m Filtrete is a brand name, just like McDonald's, Green Giant, etc. A lot of the store branded filters that appear to be like the 3m filtrete, are manufactured by 3m. It is the same with tape products that have a store name on them, and that product appears to be similar to the like product of the same quality.
Majority of all Aspirin is made by the same company. But they make the Aspirin different to each brands specs. They are not all the same.

So while filtrete may make filters for others, the media density is not the same, and is often much thinner/lighter, and not nearly as restrictive.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

That is why I switched to Ace Hardware's pleated filters for a while, before I started to use the rinse-able filter. Merv 8 is the highest that I ever went with.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Not true, fiberglass is fine as long as you change them regularly, sometimes i even double up on them that fit inside one another.
When you change them you can see all the dirt in them that would have been on the coil. Never had a problem yet in -- years.

COLDIRON is online now   Reply With Quote