Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #1

Share |

are central air units compatible with any furnace?

I have a lennox furnace that is about 3 years old. I have a friend who has a trane central air compressor and a-coil that he wants to sell. I am wondering if I can use that unit with my furnace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
firsttimeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Ice Man

An A/C unit is compatible with any furnace. two seperate systems & as long as the a/c unit is sized correctly for your house you should be ok.
Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #3

well a few things to think about. Yes you can put a coil on top a your furnance and make it work but.............

1. what size is the unit will it be large enough to cool you house.
2. Why is he selling it?
3. Does it work
4. has this unit been installed
5. how old is it

I look at it this way after doing this for over 13yrs. I have to question (if this is your case) putting in used equipment is nothing but problems. You may think your getting a great deal but end up paying more in the long run. If the sytem has been installed somewhere else was it sealed off, was it even working, what kind of condition is the coil in.

If it is a brand new unit never installed then you need to do a load cal. on your house to see how many tons of cooling is needed and to make sure the unit is the right size.

just my 2 cents

if you need help in telling what size it is post braand, model and serial of unit.

Good luck
bervin306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
An A/C unit is compatible with any furnace. two seperate systems & as long as the a/c unit is sized correctly for your house you should be ok.
The furnace also needs to have a blower sized to deliver the required airflow, depending on the tonnage of the OD unit.

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote