Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Central air quit cooling seems like only fan is running

Please help.

My heat pump/central air quit working yesterday. It is only 4 years old and have never had a problem with it till now. I tried to look up what it could be and looked at both parts of the units. The two copper pipes on the outside unit are neither hot or cold. The fan is running but unit sounds a little weak I think.
The air coming out of the vents are room temp. and isn't a strong flow. I looked at the unit above(attic) and it sounds like a fan. Nothing is hot or warm. I did trip the breaker and tried different settings and still no change.

I read several things on cleaning (problems) but would that really cause a sudden problem with cool air? Have had nice cold air all summer and heat in the winter. Today around noon it hit 90 in my house, same temp as outside! Have no problem cleaning any part of the unit if that will help.
I dont know if I need to replace a part or if it is low Freon, please help.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK. IT WAS THE CAPACITOR CAUSEING THE PROBLEM. JUST HAD IT REPLACED LESS THEN AN HOUR AGO AND BOY AM I GREATFUL TO HAVE COOL AIR AGAIN. I CALLED A NEIGHBOR WHO NEW A TECH NEARBY AND HE CAME RIGHT OUT/@8PM AND REPLACED IT. MAYBE THIS POST WILL HELP SOMEONE ELSE WITH SIMILAR PROBLEM.
THANKS AGAIN!!

Last edited by Rochelle; 08-11-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: FIXED THE PROBLEM/CAPACITOR
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I don't think any cleaning will fix the problem since the problem developed suddenly. You better call in a tech. that you trust. Is the system still under warranty?

From your description it sounds like the outdoor fan is running but not the compressor. A loss of refrigerant usually locks out both the fan and the compressor.

If I were to guess it would be a bad capacitor. It's a common problem and would fit your system's symptoms. The good news is that it's a relatively simple/inexpensive repair for a knowledgable tech.

Last edited by hennyh; 08-11-2009 at 09:07 AM.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,106

You might check to see if you have a tripped breaker or blown fuses outside next to the compresser in addition to the breaker in your main panel.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #4

Thank you for your feedback, it really helped and now its cool again. I didnt know how i was going to make it through this hot week in the high 90's! And at night it was cooler outside then inside, as our siding is all metal!!
Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #5

Turn off the power before you do any of this. Check the capacitor (if it looks like a bump on top it's definately bad)check that the contactor is pulled in, carefully check for 240 volts on both sides of contactor(with power on), check for burned wires at contactor, capacitor and compressor check if the compressor is too hot to touch. But with the fan running on the condenser (outside) and the compressor not running it sounds like either the capacitor or burned wires. If not then probably a new compressor is your near future. If the unit is less than 5 years old then it is probably under warranty, alot of newer units have 10 years on the compressor
tubapix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
Thank you for your feedback, it really helped and now its cool again. I didnt know how i was going to make it through this hot week in the high 90's! And at night it was cooler outside then inside, as our siding is all metal!!
Rochelle,
Glad to hear it was simply a bad cap. They tend to fail when temps. are the highest.

In the grand scheme of things it's one of the least expensive HVAC repairs and it sounds like you found a great tech. thru the neighbor.

I like happy endings

Last edited by hennyh; 08-11-2009 at 09:39 PM.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote