Central Air Issue -HELP PLEASE IT'S HOT! - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2006, 03:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Central Air Issue -HELP PLEASE IT'S HOT!

The outdoor unit has been acting up lately and now has stopped cooling the house.

The outdoor unit's fan still spins and every once and about every 5-7 mins or so, the lights in the home will dim and the unit will seem to want to kick in but then doesn't.. The units fan spins the whole time. It's trying to do somthing that's obviously important to cooling the house.. So in Summary:

Question #1: The outside unit's fan spins without any problem but used to have a noisier sound to it.. there something else not "kicking in" like it used to... What is the extra sound that is so important in cooling the house?

Question #2: What does it sound like to you?? I had an AC guy look at the unit a year ago and he mentioned that I had some dog hair in the unit.. My Golden Retriever likes to lay behind the unit.

If it is hair, would cleaning the hair out fix this problem? It doesn't seem like a little bit of dog hair would cause this much havoc. Any ideas would help.. By the way, the unit started getting very noisy in the past few weeks.. it would vibrate my house in excess.. why so noisy? This harsh sound is now silenced but my house isn't cooling.

I hope someone out there can help.. I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions...

Mike

Advertisement

mikemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Call a HVAC service company. Is sounds like you are over your head (don't get mad). It could be a lot of things. The Compressor locked up or low on Freon and not starting or a start cap or even other things. Should have a licensed service tech look at it.

Advertisement

didn'tdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Yup, time to call in the pros.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Sciencerules

Rewards Points: 75

#1 Most outside units have a compressor motor and fan motor, both must function properly for cooling.

#2 non issue.

Sounds like your soon to be proud owner of new compressor.

Call HVAC tech.
MAS2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

the compressor is trying to start(dimming lights) but wont for some reason.
coolmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

sounds as if you should test the cap with a volt meter first. then test the compressor with that same meter. you may need whats called a hard start. basically its a little booster that you put inline from your cap to the power wire to the compressor.

it sounds like your compressor is calling for the power and starting to get it but then not getting enough juice to acctually start it.
its like haveing a dead battery. the car will crank it just wont start.

this is just one possibility. if you dont know yourself how to test you cap or your com. then you will need someone else to come and do it.

as i said it could be that. but that was before i read all of the post. the loud noise is usually an indicator of the compressor going bad.

Advertisement

The Minister is offline   Reply With Quote