Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Central Air install question

I'm trying to find information regarding central air. I want to add it to the house, but the tech tells me that my furnace is too small/old to efficiently handle the addition of an AC unit. I believe him. SO I'll be getting a new furnace at the same time. In the pic I'e block out the rough placement of the furnace, the area of the sidewalk that the AC guy says to put the condenser, and the green box is where I'd like to put the condenser.

My house is a slab foundation and a 2 story, according to the AC guy that kind of limits my options. He wants to locate the condenser unit on the back side of the garage but the location he wants will put the condenser in the middle of the sidewalk going around the back of the house and the gate. I do have am elevated slab that I want to use but this will extend the lines another 15-20ft away from the house. I question him on this and he tells me that's the only way the unit can go (blocking the sidewalk)

Cant the condenser be placed just about any where?

RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You want to place the Condenser at least in an area that has shade the majority of the time, and close enough to the inside unit, so you do not have to go at least more than 30 feet between the two.

Post a drawing where the inside unit is at now. If you want to compare what the tech is stating, and what your numbers are, you can use this calculator http://www.loadcalc.net/ or even this one http://hvaccomputer.com/

What is the make & model of the unit you have now, and does it state on the plate how many Btu it is?

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

It can go most anywhere.

So if it was put where you want it. How will the line set be ran and protected.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #4

We don't have a unit yet, still shopping and trying to figure out which brand, specs etc. The setup we were quoted is a Goodman furnace 70k btu and a Goodman AC Unit 42k BTU 13SEER.
I've searched reviews on Goodman and find it to be a mixed bag. So now I'm trying to see what other options are out there. I did find a DIY setup sold by Apline, seems reasonable I just need to nail down facts about the location of the pieces. I would like to put the condenser across the yard but that's a little far and I would need to dig up my freshly installed lawn <UGH!>

IF I had my way I would sink the line under the sidewalk and into the house and have the condenser on the slab (the green box in my pic). I also think I want a higher SEER rating.

Thanks

Rich
Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Look at Armstrong air, the outside units are very quiet. The one I have runs around 35db. You do not want the lineset running under the sidewalk. That will not only add length, but will also make it act as a radiator and pick up heat from the sidewalk as it passes under.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

I would get a few quotes for this job and have the companies explain why your furnace is too old/small to handle an AC coil. It is always best to keep the outdoor unit as close as you can to the indoor unit so his suggestion of location is a good one. The problem you will run into is if you put the unit where you want it you have the additional length to factor in and how you are going to protect the lines from damage... and no, I would not bury them in the ground.
FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #7

Thank You everyone. Looks like he wasn't pulling the wool over my eyes. IF I want AC on the house looks like I need to bear with the inconvenience of the location.

Now to figure out brands,

-Rich
Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Experienced HVAC Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
Look at Armstrong air, the outside units are very quiet. The one I have runs around 35db. You do not want the lineset running under the sidewalk. That will not only add length, but will also make it act as a radiator and pick up heat from the sidewalk as it passes under.
Armstrong is the same as Lennox, just a bit less expensive and the unit has a different color of paint. It's one of the brands I install and yes they are very good and very quiet.
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
Experienced HVAC Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAP66
We don't have a unit yet, still shopping and trying to figure out which brand, specs etc. The setup we were quoted is a Goodman furnace 70k btu and a Goodman AC Unit 42k BTU 13SEER.
I've searched reviews on Goodman and find it to be a mixed bag. So now I'm trying to see what other options are out there...
Any brand you search will be a mixed bag of, reviews. I've looked up reviews about almost all brands and every brand has mostly bad and only a few good reviews. Think about it like this. If something works fine and doesn't cost you extra money are you more likely to tell as many people as possible than if it is noisy, doesn't work well and costs you a lot extra . In the same way people don't call my shop to tell me their system is working fine and they don't need me to come out, they only call when it's not working.
Also in most of the reviews I have read (even about brands I really like) people complain about problems that go more towards a bad installation or a bad service company than. Now is it fair to judge a brand of equipment because it wasn't installed correctly or wasn't properly services/maintained. That's like hating all Ford because someone poured sugar into the gas tank of your new F-150 or whatever.
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC1000 View Post
Armstrong is the same as Lennox, just a bit less expensive and the unit has a different color of paint. It's one of the brands I install and yes they are very good and very quiet.
Tell me about it. The next door neighbor who has a 10Seer, it measures at around 50-65db, and with the blanket over the compressor when running, compared to mine, which measures around 35db that was put in around three years ago, no blanket over the compressor.

Of course mine is one of the last of the 13Seer R-22 line, but I was of course on a budget, and the person that was supposed to buy it, backed out, and my guy got it at a steal, due to the warehouse wanted it gone. All he installs is Armstrong units for his rentals, and has never had an issue with them, compared to Goodman's, Coleman's, and other brands.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #11

If the red box on the left is over where your furnace is located I would consider putting it on the roof right above there.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #12

Like been said you can put it anywhere, it's your money if you want it where the green box is it can be done he can tunnel over to it and run the lines up the wall overhead to where the heater/ coil are located.
From what I can see your line set length should be OK , many are 100 feet long and there's no problems. Like I said it's your money. If you don't get it installed where the green box is you'll be kicking yourself every time you walk by it. Find someone who will.