Central Air Fan Problems - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Central Air Fan Problems

I'm new to the forum and may need more guidance from you all. I'm pretty handy but HVAC is not my specialty. Here's the whole story.

I was BBQ'ing at home and my brother in law threw the grill cover over the central air unit. Blocking the air flow and therefore not allowing the exhaust fan to cool the unit. This was a few days ago but we haven't used the unit since. Today we cranked it on and it was cooling the house just fine. While outside mowing the lawn I noticed a loud buzz/hum coming from the unit so I walked over and cover was over the unit and the fan was not spinning. I did some research and tried spinning it by hand. When the unit is allowed to cool and first starts up, I spin the fan by hand and it stays on for about 10 to 15 mins then shuts off. If I allow the unit to cool for about 20 mins or so and try it again, it stays on for 10 to 15 mins. I've been reading it could be the capacitor but wanted to see if the blocking of the exhaust could have damaged something else beside it possibly being the capacitor.

Also if you guys can let me know where I can pick up a capacitor that would be awesome. My unit is a York and is pretty old atleast 15yrs. I know it doesn't mean much all the neighbors I know have the same unit and still running fine.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

brixity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,698

Central Air Fan Problems

Could be a bearing getting tight.

May or may not be caused by running it with that cover over it.
The cover could have caused the motor to run too hot.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Central Air Fan Problems

how can i tell if the motor is shot? when i spin the fan by hand and run the system it works fine. it blows cold throughout the house.
brixity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,698

Central Air Fan Problems

Basically. You could try replacing the capacitor. And then if it still only runs for 15 to 20 minutes. The motor is done for.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 334

Central Air Fan Problems

i've had a couple similar problems with my unit. the fan wouldn't come on but neither would the compressor. i also got the humming noise, but not that loud. if i spun it like you said, the fan would spin up and run ok. turned out it was the capacitor. i have a dual run capacitor and replacing that fixed the problem.

later, the fan motor started seizing up and that just drew too much amperage and kept tripping the circuit breaker. if the bearings are going there will be resistance and it won't spin easily. i don't know what the symptoms of a bad motor are.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote