Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #1

Share |

Central air evaporator and furnace placement question.

Does the evaporator for central air need to be placed directly above the furnace? I would like to have it mounted horizontally against the basement ceiling instead of vertically on top of the furnace.

Secondly, is there a specific amount of distance that a gas furnace needs to be from a breaker box? Where I would like to relocate the furnace would put it about 2 or 3 feet from the breaker box.

StretchinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #2

There are horizontal evap coils so yes you can. I believe the breaker box must have 3' of clearance

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
StretchinAZ (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Why do you want a horz coil? You can get a horz coil but they are a lot more expensive and extra tin work and cost is involved. Local elec code dictates the panel distance along with the national code. Local code supersedes it. Make sure you get a proper ruling on it as the ins co may be concerned also.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Why do you want a horz coil? You can get a horz coil but they are a lot more expensive and extra tin work and cost is involved. Local elec code dictates the panel distance along with the national code. Local code supersedes it. Make sure you get a proper ruling on it as the ins co may be concerned also.

I have a very old coal burning furnace that was converted to oil that I'm replacing. The old furnace is roughly 6 feet by 3 feet and right in the middle of basement. In the corner of my basement there is a concrete ledge that is roughly 3 feet tall. I want to put the furnace and ac there but the contractor said there wouldn't be enough room to have them stacked. So I wanted to get ideas before having him come back out. He said it would be best to keep the new furnace/ac in the middle. I was just trying to come up with ideas but it appears that that will be installed where the old one is now.

Does an interior clay tiled chimney require to be lined when converting to gas? There seems to be conflicting information on the web.
StretchinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

If you get a high efficiency furnace over 90% efficient it uses no chimney and plastic PVC vent pipes that go out the side wall and you can move the furnace around. still need the main ductwork. if the ductwork has more than one branch then 1 coil horz won't work as all the air needs to go thru it. where I am all chimneys like yours need a liner and possibly a smaller liner as it will freezeup in the old clay chimney. liner MUST match the size of the vent on the appliance/furnace and we usually use a double wall B-vent.