Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #1

Share |

Central Air

I am new to the central air thing and have what may seem like a silly question. The upstairs zone for my central air does not seem to be working when on the auto setting...one of those round thermastats...does this mean my air conditioning does not work? The fan setting works...is this just a fan or will it cool down like when on auto? My unit is 12 years old. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it? Will I do damage if it is on fan and auti doesn't work? There are no noises being made, just no cool air coming out when it is on the auto setting. Could it be the thermastat? Having had to lug out the air conditioners and shove them in a window my whole life I am clueless with this and Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited by shuga; 06-09-2008 at 08:30 PM.
shuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #2

Central Air

1st floor might be the main control and the 2nd floor might just be for volume damper...this means your downstairs must be calling for cooling and the second floor controls just the cool air...not the entire systems.if the downstairs is cooled off and the fan is in auto on that stat the upstairs might turn the fan on but doubt it brings the cooling on..you would overcool the 1st floor then...probably volume only on the 2nd floor round

Last edited by biggles; 06-09-2008 at 08:48 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #3

Central Air

Thanks, but the air downstairs was on...wouldn't that have shut off so as to not overcool? I think the upstairs and downstairs have two seperate compressors as well (the thingamajigs outside Can you tell I am new to the homeowner thing as well? To test, would I shut off the air downstairs air and turn the upstairs on auto to see what happens? Thanks again. I am going to check out the link you sent.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #4

Central Air

so that link doesn't help me...but it was sweet. I am from NYC and a prewar building that did not have central air...hence the reason why I am so clueless now. On another note, the house has two zones for air...one upstairs and one down...does that help?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #5

Central Air

had to replace the thermistat