Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

Share |

Central Air

Hey everyone, am looking for some general observations regarding A/C units and installers. I am preparing to purchase one for the upcoming cooling season and would like input.

The installers of the new furnace last year installed a coil as part of the package. The hookups are there so I will be in the market for the compressor and line kit.

Im looking for general thoughts about brands, models, line kits, and anything to be wary about with this purchase. I have no favorites and am completely open to any brand.

The Heating and AC place that installed the furnace recommended a 2 ton unit, from what little I can gather it seems 1.5 might be a bit more appropriate but im no expert and the internet isnt always 100% so I cant say that for sure.

Any advice is appreciated!

quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Central Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
The installers of the new furnace last year installed a coil as part of the package. The hookups are there so I will be in the market for the compressor and line kit.

Im looking for general thoughts about brands, models, line kits, and anything to be wary about with this purchase. I have no favorites and am completely open to any brand.
Do you have any reason to not stick with the brand of the furnace you have?
Beyond that... do you know what sort of coil was installed?

Long story short... it's very much like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.
It's not that there aren't differences between brands... it's that the differences that exist matter far less than how well the rest of the job is planned/done.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 02-06-2013 at 06:00 PM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #3

Central Air

No bias against the current system, more bias against the installers. Didnt get any paperwork, no sizing was done, they just simply put in what the old one was sized to and walked away. I get this "good ole boy" mentality from them that I dont like. Maybe im wrong in that. I just want more information so I can call bull when I see it and hopefully become a more educated, smart consumer.

I do not know what they installed for a coil. I have looked but dont have any paperwork on it (no surprise).
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Central Air

your ac SHOULD be matched to the coil, so that is the first thing you need to do..... Find out brand, size (btu), model number.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Central Air

The outdoor unit should be the same manufacturer as the indoor coil. If you want the efficiency your gonna pay for.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Central Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
I get this "good ole boy" mentality from them that I don't like. Maybe im wrong in that. I just want more information so I can call bull when I see it and hopefully become a more educated, smart consumer.
I think that what you're describing here is the norm.
And you're not wrong.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #7

Central Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
your ac SHOULD be matched to the coil, so that is the first thing you need to do..... Find out brand, size (btu), model number.
So im clear here, each particular compressor will be mated to a coil that it "fits"? I guess I was mistaken in assuming those were of a universal variety....
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

Central Air

With todays efficiencies you can't just put the same size unit with the same size coil and expect to get the efficiency that the outdoor unit is rated at. The indoor coil is typically matched to what ever outdoor unit you choose. You already have a new indoor coil, so you would want to match that to an outdoor unit.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

Central Air

Ok, I can handle that, and in all reality If they sized it for a 2 ton compressor I shouldnt be to far off. At the very least its in the ballpark....

I figured the coil would be cheaper to install when the new furnace was installed, I was told that was correct because its easier to get at. That is why I had them install it at that time. I didnt realize that it would hamstring me into a particular brand or type of compressor. I will ask the guys a bit more about the units they install and go from there.

Does a two ton unit sound appropriate for 940 sq ft of living space in a single story home? It has 370 sq ft of what will be conditioned living space in the basement but I have seen it is advised to not count that in your calculations. Blower on the furnace is rated at 1200 CFM. Insulation is inch thick rock wool and R-40 blown in the ceiling. over 30% of the house exterior walls will have been re insulated with R-15 or better and vapor barrier when the summer is over.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
AKA HVACTECHFW

Central Air

That sounds on the large side.... have the unit sized for the planned improvements.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #11

Central Air

I would call the original installers for an estimate. Then you will have sizing information to use with other estimates.
hvactech126 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #12

Central Air

That is what the original installers are calling for.....