Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Share |
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Wow, this thread has taken off further than I intended when I started it.

My wife has a friend, and her friends brother is an HVAC tech. He said I needed to call him because that is way way too high, he will be coming out to take a look this week.

After talking with him, he said that the R410a for 69/lb is pretty close to R22 prices. That is like paying R12 prices for R134a. It does not matter what overhead costs you have, there is no way you can justify paying R22 prices for R410a. (first red flag)

At first, I never thought I was going to find much wiggle room on the R410a, I was mainly concerned with the leak repair for $260 -/+. I mean he will be doing 98% labor, and will not be replacing any parts, and using a little gas and brazing rod.

So he said the leak repair was around $260.00. That is about 1-2 hours to repair the leak. He is using some torch gas, and a brazing rod $4 in parts. so if the leak repair took 2 full hours, this guy is charging 128.00 and hour in labor? If it takes him 1.5 hours, he is charging 173.00 /hr?

No matter how you look at it, the price seems a bit high. I was always under the impression that when someone came out, and made a repair that basically used no parts, but labor, they charged only labor rates, there is no way this company charges 128.00/hr. that is higher than car mechanic, computer repair, electrician, plummers and other types of repair service. I don't mind paying the FMV "fair market value" for the repair but I don't care who you are, paying too much for something never leaves a good taste in your mouth!

As I said before, it is the leak repair that is pretty much 100% pure labor for 260.00 that has me scratching my head. Those prices are near doctor prices, and we all know their hour rates are so high, we need something called "health insurance" to help us foot the bill.

I think maybe i will just buy a kiddie pool and put it in in front of my TV for MLB until winter. ha ha

I'll have this friend come out and take a look and I will update ya with what he found and quoted me.

sti1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 267
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
ONLY?? Using that logic,you would be OK paying $22.50 for a gallon of gas?
I'll pay $40 for a part of $5, but not $400 for a part of $50.
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #33
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,542
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
ONLY?? Using that logic,you would be OK paying $22.50 for a gallon of gas?
You'd be surprised how little a gas station actually pays for a gallon of gas. And tehy don't even have to warranty the gas. If you get less mileage, tough.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,542
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sti1471 View Post
Wow, this thread has taken off further than I intended when I started it.

My wife has a friend, and her friends brother is an HVAC tech. He said I needed to call him because that is way way too high, he will be coming out to take a look this week.

After talking with him, he said that the R410a for 69/lb is pretty close to R22 prices. That is like paying R12 prices for R134a. It does not matter what overhead costs you have, there is no way you can justify paying R22 prices for R410a. (first red flag)

At first, I never thought I was going to find much wiggle room on the R410a, I was mainly concerned with the leak repair for $260 -/+. I mean he will be doing 98% labor, and will not be replacing any parts, and using a little gas and brazing rod.

So he said the leak repair was around $260.00. That is about 1-2 hours to repair the leak. He is using some torch gas, and a brazing rod $4 in parts. so if the leak repair took 2 full hours, this guy is charging 128.00 and hour in labor? If it takes him 1.5 hours, he is charging 173.00 /hr?

No matter how you look at it, the price seems a bit high. I was always under the impression that when someone came out, and made a repair that basically used no parts, but labor, they charged only labor rates, there is no way this company charges 128.00/hr. that is higher than car mechanic, computer repair, electrician, plummers and other types of repair service. I don't mind paying the FMV "fair market value" for the repair but I don't care who you are, paying too much for something never leaves a good taste in your mouth!

As I said before, it is the leak repair that is pretty much 100% pure labor for 260.00 that has me scratching my head. Those prices are near doctor prices, and we all know their hour rates are so high, we need something called "health insurance" to help us foot the bill.

I think maybe i will just buy a kiddie pool and put it in in front of my TV for MLB until winter. ha ha

I'll have this friend come out and take a look and I will update ya with what he found and quoted me.
I would have charged you $115.00 just to tell you what was wrong. And I charge a lot more then $125.00 an hour for labor.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,362
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Yep and even in Nebraska that office visit at the doc is $200 and he's in the room for 10 minutes tops.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #36
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
You'd be surprised how little a gas station actually pays for a gallon of gas. And tehy don't even have to warranty the gas. If you get less mileage, tough.
ahem...you need to do a little research. Gas station markup is never over 15%, and usually closer to 5%.
__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?

Last edited by Missouri Bound; 07-16-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #37
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by clocert View Post
I'll pay $40 for a part of $5, but not $400 for a part of $50.
Why? You are already paying for the service call and hourly rate.
__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #38
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,542
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
ahem...you need to do a little research. Gas station markup is never over 15%, andusually closer to 5%.
Thats over ALL cost. They make more then you think.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
You'd be surprised how little a gas station actually pays for a gallon of gas. And tehy don't even have to warranty the gas. If you get less mileage, tough.
You would be surprised how little they make on gas. Don't forget over the price they pay for it, they have to collect the sate tax etc., on it. A lot of Stations are at the 5-10 cents a gallon mark. But they sell a lot of gas. And make a tone in the Mini Mart. The soda cup cost them more then the soda that goes in it!
tom1336 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tom1336 For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #40
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,542
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1336 View Post
You would be surprised how little they make on gas. Don't forget over the price they pay for it, they have to collect the sate tax etc., on it. A lot of Stations are at the 5-10 cents a gallon mark. But they sell a lot of gas. And make a tone in the Mini Mart. The soda cup cost them more then the soda that goes in it!

Same way with the coffee.

10 cents net(not gross, but net) profit per gallon, on 32,000 gallons a month is $3,200.00

And that isn't a large station/mini mart.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #41
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


I'm sorry I brought up the gas station analogy. A 100% markeup is expected, a 800% markup is criminal. Even credit card companies and loan sharks would cringe at that number.
__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 513
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere

You'd be surprised how little a gas station actually pays for a gallon of gas. And tehy don't even have to warranty the gas. If you get less mileage, tough.
You might be surprised at how little markup the station owner can add to a gallon of gas. Most of the markup is the fuel supplier and federal state and local taxes. Most gas stations make most of their money on the food mart NOT on the gasoline.
Just as most movie theaters make the majority of their money on thee concessions NOT on the ticket sales!

(brought to you by the department of redundancy )

Last edited by Evstarr; 07-16-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Evstarr For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #43
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,542
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evstarr View Post
You might be surprised at how little markup the station owner can add to a gallon of gas. Most of the markup is the fuel supplier and federal state and local taxes. Most gas stations make most of their money on the food mart NOT on the gasoline.
Just as most movie theaters make the majority of their money on thee concessions NOT on the ticket sales!
I know how much mark up they can have. And what they can include as cost. I use to work for oil companies that delivered gas to gas stations.

Yes, for about 8 to 10 years, gas is used as the draw to get people in the door.

I've seen grand openings where gas was sold at 10 cents under what the place paid for it.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #44
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,542
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
I'm sorry I brought up the gas station analogy. A 100% markeup is expected, a 800% markup is criminal. Even credit card companies and loan sharks would cringe at that number.
Thats just your opinion.

You are free to use what ever mark up you want. And the rest of us will use the mark up we want.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 118
Default

central AC repair. is this true?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I would have charged you $115.00 just to tell you what was wrong. And I charge a lot more then $125.00 an hour for labor.
Get much repeat business with those prices and that attitude?

tima2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to repair a cracked driveway or walkway rfrick7@yahoo.c How To Guides 7 05-06-2012 10:43 PM
How to repair a concrete floor we just had repaired! timbo59 Flooring 11 01-04-2012 06:15 PM
Repair or Replace Garage Doors??? jbird0005 Windows and Doors 2 12-10-2011 06:42 AM
Advice on deck repair gabchoud Carpentry 8 09-12-2009 01:13 PM
Installing Central Air using existing heat ducts lvlacic HVAC 2 06-25-2005 12:47 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.