DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Central AC not cooling 2nd Floor

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Buckeyetech 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've just purchased a small (600 sq ft/floor) semiattached triplex a little over a year ago. I have central ac and heating. In the winter, the heat didn't heat the 2nd floor and now in the summer, the ac didn't cool the 2nd floor. I replaced the furnace and outside ac unit after getting 4 consultations telling me that the systems are old and inefficient. Currently I have a brand new 3-3.5 ton ac unit (85,000 BTU's) and this is still not cooling the 2nd floor. Could someone please tell me what else may be wrong with the system? Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the tips. I just want to clear up that the townhouse is 600 sq ft per floor. Thus, the total sq ft are about 1800. Sorry I wasn't clear in my original post.

Do you still feel that 3.5 tons is still sufficient for this home? How would the ductwork be checked without ripping out the walls?

Buckeytech - what does "the t-state" mean?

thanks

#7 ·
Just as a rule of thumb.,,3-1/2 tons should be enough for 1800 square feet. But the way the house is unsulated, the number of windows, your climate etc go into the calculations. But to be really sure the contractor should have done a heat loss and gain on the house.

You might be able to find the size of the duct work by checking the chase where the ducts go up or searching through the registers.

In my opinion you need a GOOD contractor to trouble shoot it.

T-Stat = Thermostat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.