Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling fan in stairwell

I'm not sure if this is exactly an HVAC question, but here goes. Two story townhome with a south-facing exposure and cheap single-pane windows. The upstairs and especially the upstairs back (south side) bedrooms get very hot in the afternoons in summer. If I run the AC to the point where it's comfortable downstairs it's still hot in the bedrooms. Plus I'd prefer not to have to run the AC when it's comfortable downstairs already.

I've put film on the south facing windows and when it's hot I open the windows and put a fan in them to pull outside air in, but it still doesn't really cool the rooms down.

So my idea is this--I have an L-shaped staircase that currently has a hanging light at the mid landing. I'm wondering, if I replaced that with a ceiling fan and used it to pull downstairs air up, might that help to equalize the temperature between stories?
TJSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ceiling fan in stairwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSocal View Post
I'm not sure if this is exactly an HVAC question, but here goes. Two story townhome with a south-facing exposure and cheap single-pane windows. The upstairs and especially the upstairs back (south side) bedrooms get very hot in the afternoons in summer. If I run the AC to the point where it's comfortable downstairs it's still hot in the bedrooms. Plus I'd prefer not to have to run the AC when it's comfortable downstairs already.

I've put film on the south facing windows and when it's hot I open the windows and put a fan in them to pull outside air in, but it still doesn't really cool the rooms down.

So my idea is this--I have an L-shaped staircase that currently has a hanging light at the mid landing. I'm wondering, if I replaced that with a ceiling fan and used it to pull downstairs air up, might that help to equalize the temperature between stories?
Ayuh,... The ceiling fan will no doubt help,....

Do have have windows on the north side,..??

If so, I'd think turnin' yer fans around, 'n blowin' air Outa the house into the hot side of the house, will draw cooler air in off the shaded side,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote