Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
retired guy

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

ceiling fan placement

I own a "salt box" style home with a second floor loft area in the center of two adjacent bedrooms. The center loft area is open to a foyer below. I currently have a fan mid way up the slanted ceiling. My problem is that all the heat collects in the loft area and hallway. I would like to know if installing a another fan in the center of the loft area would aid in moving air back downstairs. Would it affect the air flow with the other fan? Installation will not be a problem. I was told that running the second floor heating zone would aid in keeping the downstairs warmer, but I have reservations about that since we are rarely upstairs. Thanks.

igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

ceiling fan placement

Most fans today have a 'reverse' switch. In summer mode, blades usually move air straight downward for a cooling effect on exposed skin. In winter mode, blades run in reverse, pushing air (hot) up to ceiling which is then supposed to hit your exterior walls and reflect downward.

If your fan has such a switch it may be hard to reach. Many have remote controls. Or you'll need a long step ladder.

If your fan is positioned so that it would not be able to accomplish above, you may need a second fan.

diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
retired guy

Rewards Points: 0

ceiling fan placement

I do have this switch on all four fans in my house. I understand the concept. What I would like to know is whether my idea of installing another fan in the center of my second floor loft will do the job of bringing the hot air downstairs or am I wasting my time. Thanks for the reply though.
igneous is offline   Reply With Quote