Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Fan Advice

Hi,

I am having a little trouble deciding what to do with my ceiling fans. My house has 18 ft ceiling so I want to install a couple of fan for air circulation. My problem is, should I mount the fan directly to the ceiling or should I drop them a couple of feet before I mount them? Is there a suggested standard I should be following or is it basically personal preference? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

rlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #2

Ceiling Fan Advice

Optimal installation is 8-9' off the floor
I have a ~12' ceiling in the sunroom, fan is mounted on the angled cathedral ceiling
With an 18" drop the fan is at 9'
If the fan is too high you will not feel any movement

Sizing/etc:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...ng_fans_basics

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #3

Ceiling Fan Advice

If mounting fans at an angle (sounded like what he said) does not sound too eye appealing. And at 18 feet...well just might be a bit weak on flow.

With an 18" ceiling I don't think I would want a nine foot extension with a fan on the end detracting from the ambiance that a cathedral ceiling imparts to a home. It's a matter of fasion vs function. In this case fashion can beat function so you won't lose the cavernous appeal of the room space.
The amount of air a fan moves depends on the fan design and pitch of blade and motor hp. The run of the mill fans don't cut it.

For homes that have a two story glassed atrium with eastern exposure they make a more powerful and slightly larger bodied fan. It moves high volumes of air and can be connected to a light fixture and remotely controlled so you can keep the ascetics of the room and move the dead air that accumulate at ceiling level.

Fashion and function in harmony.

Basically the heat gain is too great with the cathedral ceiling that it would take two or three run of the mill fans to even do a mediocre job.
The specialized fan moves greater volumes of air with its more powerful motor and just noticeably larger a steeper pitched blades.

Ascetically it is more pleasing then to install multiple fans which can present a problem since there is no attic space in this area to run new wire.

Some less knowledgeable contractors would have you over size the AC to over come the dead air space but that can't work if there is no way to move the static air at ceiling level (no duct work). I will post the link for the fan as soon as I can look it up.
Hope this helps

Last edited by hvaclover; 08-30-2009 at 12:11 PM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #4

Ceiling Fan Advice

I would think that he installed it like the pic on the far right. I have seen many installed that way, just not as low as was mentioned, and they don't look bad. Here is a link for you.http://www.southernhomecomforts.com/store/type.asp
Attached Images

newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #5

Ceiling Fan Advice

That looks ugly, like it was a last resort to a difficult install.

All of the foyers with 18 to 25" atriums we have done had a a light fixture that accommodated the fan keeping it close enough to the ceiling with out making it stand out like a sore thumb.
None of the customers that I or any body else I know want a fan installed the way your diagram shows.

Last edited by hvaclover; 08-30-2009 at 01:20 PM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #6

Ceiling Fan Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
That looks ugly, like it was a last resort to a difficult install.
And yes this is your opinion. I just sent him info so he make up his own. Please, just answer the question and don't try to start an argument. Thank you
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #7

Ceiling Fan Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtech View Post
And yes this is your opinion. I just sent him info so he make up his own. Please, just answer the question and don't try to start an argument. Thank you
I did answer the question the rest is just you trying to provoke a confrontation.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #8

Ceiling Fan Advice

I would install the fans as you stated with remote operation. Down rods 2 or 3 feet.

Even though you won't feel the air flow it OK as long as you know it's working for you.

What I mean is the fan is destratifying the air and mixing it with the conditioned air this is the end result I think you are looking for.

Let us know what you think.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #9

Ceiling Fan Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
I did answer the question the rest is just you trying to provoke a confrontation.
Opinions are allowed, so let's try to stay on topic and don't turn this into a pizzing match please.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Ceiling Fan Advice

Hunter ceiling gives these options,

3/4” Extension Downrods

For Ceiling Height Of:9'10'11'12'13'14'15'Use Downrod Length Of:12"18"24"36"48"60"72", respectively

I think as long as the fan is mounted above 8' and then half the distance between 8' and ceiling height.

Good luck

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #11

Ceiling Fan Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber101 View Post
Hunter ceiling gives these options,

3/4 Extension Downrods

For Ceiling Height Of:9'10'11'12'13'14'15'Use Downrod Length Of:12"18"24"36"48"60"72", respectively

I think as long as the fan is mounted above 8' and then half the distance between 8' and ceiling height.

Good luck
Thanks for the information 101 I will save it for a later date.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Ceiling Fan Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch View Post
Hi,

I am having a little trouble deciding what to do with my ceiling fans. My house has 18 ft ceiling so I want to install a couple of fan for air circulation. My problem is, should I mount the fan directly to the ceiling or should I drop them a couple of feet before I mount them? Is there a suggested standard I should be following or is it basically personal preference? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I will only address myself to the question of whether to mount the ceiling fan/s close to the ceiling. On the other ANGLES of the question I see you got wonderful (professional) advice from other posters. In my experience, mounting the fan directly to the ceiling (without any extensions) interferes with circulation of the air. On the same type and size of fan, you get much more CFMs when the fan is extended down from the ceiling!(No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #13

Ceiling Fan Advice

I have 6 ceiling fans in the house, 8' ceilings mostly
Five are mounted "direct" to the ceiling (one does have a 3" downrod)
Due to the mounting setup by the Mfg this puts the fan blades normally at about 12" from the ceiling

The 6th fan (54") is in the new sunroom, it is installed on the slanted cathedral ceiling
There is only a 42" wide flat ceiling at the top, no room for the fan up there
It is located in the middle if measuring the width of the room
It is located closer to the outer wall where our kitchen/dining table will be located
It's the round box with the loop of wire coming out
The 18" downrod was needed in order to clear the angled ceiling
We can feel the cooling air from the fan when in any part of the room
I feel 2 fans would not have worked visually - the room just isn't big enough IMO

An 18' high ceiling is another matter
I'm not sure how a big downrod would look, might depend upon the room
To locate the fan at 9' you would need an 8' down rod, the fan assembly accounts for another foot

Do you have air vents in this area (upper ceiling) for AC/heat

I can see having dead air up above if it is mounted to low
I can also see little effect on people below if mounted too high
For our Great room (~13' ceiling) I'm looking at a 65" fan & at least a 2' rod - maybe closer to a 4' downrod. I will probably hang a fan at 9' & see how it looks before I decide

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

Ceiling Fan Advice

The longer the extension rod the more it can/will wobble. I would not go with anything longer than 36". Buy the BEST fan one you can afford! The more expensive ones have better bearings, quieter motors and are balanced better. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by yuri; 08-30-2009 at 07:15 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote