Carrier Weathermaker SX - Weak Air Movement - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Carrier Weathermaker SX - Weak Air Movement

I have a Carrier WeatherMaker SX. The house was built in 1989.

The previous owner didn't use it much and we had the A/C recharged 4 years ago.

It gets cold, just doesn't move air like it used to. The house does get comfortable but it runs all the time b/c the air flow is so weak.

We've changed the filter but its just not moving air like we think it should.

I'm wondering if I need to replace the blower motor. I'm a geek, studied electronics for 1 year in college and not afraid of digging into things.

Are there other things I should be checking?

what else could it be?

Are there diagrams on how to take apart and clean the unit?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

eAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

Is the evaporator clean,(indoor coil). Are the blower blades clean? if you have a high efficiency furnace(90+), it has a secondary heat exchanger that may be plugged.

If you remove the blower assembly, look up inside the furnace, you should see the secondary heat exchanger, it will look like a radiator in your car. Same with the evaporator. The blades in the blower are curved, you should be able to run your finger along the blade, after you pull it out, and feel the curve, and any dirt that may have accumulated.

Compare the actual amp draw on the blower motor to the nameplate amperage before you decide to replace it. If its not overamping, or overheating, its probably fine. Make sure everything is clean before you take the reading.

Make sure the breaker is off before tearing into it.

Good luck.

Advertisement

8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #3

Talking

sounds like great advice.

Any pointers on how to get the thing open?

I don't want to unscrew the wrong stuff and have some internal assembly come apart.

Are there mechanical drawing of this stuff or it just "proceed with common sense"?

thanks in advance.
eAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

Just use common sense and some care. Try not to puncture or kink any of the copper. If there is a screw already in the metal casing, dont worry about taking it out, and use care when putting them back.

The blower normaly is mounted on a track, that allows it to be pulled out the front. Most of the wiring snaps together.

If your refering to the heat exchanger, dont try to take it apart, use a stiff brush or a hose to knock off the debris, same with the evaporator.

Again, make sure the power is off at the breaker, and let everything dry before restoring power.

Let me know if you have any trouble, and what you find.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 07-21-2008 at 11:38 PM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #5

Exclamation

I need to clean my Carrier Weathermaker 8000 because I am having the same symptoms but I am having trouble finding any information on how to take things apart. It's a gas furnace with A/C on top of the unit. The top of the unit is also where the outgoing ducts are. To get to the condensor/AC coils, do I need to take apart all of the duct work? Or can I take one of the side panels off that is right under the duct work but still on top of the furnace unit? I just want to make sure that I am starting in the right location. If anyone has any diagrams I would like to view them first.

Thanks in advance!
aadkins is offline   Reply With Quote