Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Share |

Carrier Weathermaker issue- could it be the eletrical cord??????

So I've had several furnace guys to my house over the month (I'm HVAC slow, so be gentle with me . Heat went out a couple of times, furnace made a loud noise (sounded like a Harley in my living room for a minute), and periodically (there's no rhyme or reason to it) I get an odd burning smell through the vents (this only lasts 30sec or so...again, it's totally random). Had the flame sensor replaced. That didn't help. A few days later I woke up to no heat. Had another guy out (by then, the heat was working) and he couldn't find anything wrong. Every evening it seems, the heat goes out. I know about the secondary heat exchange issues, and was told by the NEXT furnace guy that I needed a whole new furnace (mine is 10yo). So now the owner of my original (favorite) place comes out and spends about 2hrs looking at everything. Crack in condensation plate, will replace. Upgrade the filter...fine. Gonna replace the secondary heat exchange, as well. However, they REALLY didn't see much else wrong with my furnace (it was working well when they were over...figures). There was carbon residue in some stuff and dirty outlets(?). So I'm planning on getting all that fixed.

My issue is that every morning I wake up to a cold house. If I go to the basement and jiggle the cord that is in the outlet (it appears that cord runs around by the condensation pump(?) for awhile, the furnace kicks on. It's loud at first, then blows, and THEN the heat comes...takes awhile. Once in a rare while I'll hear NOTHING except for a humming. Everyone says motor and blower seem okay.

Is it possible that the main issue has something to do with that cord? What exactly is that? My furnace guys seemed to brush it off when I told them about that.....is it coincidence that the jjiggling kicks it on (it doesn't stay on through the night)? It seems like an outlet wouldn't be the reason for the noise and smell and all the other little stuff (the smell isn't coming from the outlet, that's for sure...I check). Any ideas what's going on??? Is the secondary exchange likely the culprit??

This is making me crazy and everyone acts like I'm nuts because I'm a female trying to explain things (LOL) but I'm telling you- jiggling that cord does SOMETHING!!!!

Thanks for any input!!!
jenniferla32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

while its not working you need to check the diagnostic code first. you can find the LED flashing the code though a window in the blower door.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
while its not working you need to check the diagnostic code first. you can find the LED flashing the code though a window in the blower door.
Also, before jiggling the cord, if you have central A/C, turn the fan switch at the thermostat to on, see if the blower runs. Could be a bad connection in the recep or cord.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #4

Okay, I checked the flashing red light and it's at 13- Limit or Flame Roll-Out. Says something about a 3hr reset???? What exactly does that mean and what's the fix? (doesn't sound like filter, condensate plate and heat exchange replacement, but what do I know?)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #5

Once your furnace has a problem (like a flame failure, limit cut out, pressure switch issue, etc.) it will attempt to re-light. Some will attempt this up to 3 times before locking out. The 3 hour lockout just means that your furnace will wait for 3 hours and then try and re-light. To bypass this feature you can just turn off your power switch to the furnace and turn it back on and the furnace will try and re-light right away.

If it is a limit problem, (by any chance have you been running it without a filter lately), perhaps the A/C coil is plugged and limiting the amount of air coming through the furnace. Turn your fan switch to manual on on your thermostat and see if you can feel a good flow of air coming out of your registers, are they all open or did some get closed by some chance, you could hold a kleenex up to the supply register and see if it blows it around or just sit there. (if you were unsure of how much air was coming out of the register)
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HVACDave For This Useful Post:
jenniferla32 (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #6

So pretty much, if there's any real issue, the furnace will try three times to work then lockout? I know the guys mentioned something about the coils. AND.....when this guy looked at my filter (mind you, THREE other guys were here before him), he told me the wrong filter is in there....I replaced it with the exact one that was in there, from the homeowners before me (had the house almost 3y now). Thanks soo much for your answer....as long as I know that jiggling the cord and flipping the switch is "resetting" it and not simply the problem (the cord?), I feel better.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

there is a real problem. your main temp limit has tripped and has not reset for 3 min putting the furnace into lock-out. this is do to air flow restriction most of the time. either to restrictive of a filter, or not properly sized for your system or evap coil plugged or blocked vents or returns.