Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Carrier Weathermaker Gas Furnace - No blower for heat

I moved into a house this summer that has this furnace. It has worked fine for the A/C all summer functioning as it should

Now that fall has arrived I attempted to use the heat yesterday and the the blower will not turn on. I set the tstat for heat and the burner ignites and will run forever but the blower fan does not come on at all.

I turned the tstat all the way down and turned the A/C back on and the blower turns on just like it has all summer.

If I set the tstat from auto to on for the fan the blower does not come on either.

I don't know if it is the tstat or not since it does work for the a/c just not the heat.

There is only a single green LED on at the furnace while the heat is on and if I am reading the sticker right means it is operating in low heat mode. If the a/c is running there are no lights on in the furnace.

nerdbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #2

The T-stat turns on the fan in A/C mode the furnace control board turns on the fan in heat mode. Doesn't look good for your board.

I'm presuming that if you have a 2 stage furnace that it shuts down the manual call for fan in heat mode and runs the motor down to low speed. Could be that low speed on the fan motor is toast. You could check and see if you have voltage going to the fan motor in heating mode on low speed tap. You may be able to lock the furnace into high heat mode by adjusting dip switch settings to bring heat onto high fire and fan may run on high speed, that may take you back to fan motor, or may just be bad board.

HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HVACDave For This Useful Post:
nerdbit (09-20-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

If you have 1 transformer, the thermostat terminals may need to be jumped on RC and RH. RC is for A/C, RH is for gas heat.

Take a look first and try to find a manual, online or not, for your thermostat.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diyorpay For This Useful Post:
nerdbit (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #4

Looking into the wiring and information about the weathermaker as well as the suggestion earlier is a multi-stage unit. I discovered that the tstat was for single-stage only. I purchased a new Honeywell RTH6450 and now the heat is working fine. However, I have a new problem. The outdoor a/c compressor has stopped working. The blower comes on but outside doesn't kick in. I set the tstat as a multi-stage two-wire heat single wire cool as that is what is is I have a W1 and a W2 and Y. If I set the tstat as a multi-stage two-wire heat/cool and and connect Y from the furnace to Y2 on the tstat then then everything works as it should.

Is this normal? according to the tstat manual y2 will only be hot when there is more than a 3 degree difference in temp. I am doing something wrong?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

See if this site helps:

http://thermostats.highperformancehv...g-colors-code/
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #6

All is well now. The new thermostat is hooked up and both heat/AC work fine. I checked continuity across RC and Y on the tstat while it was "cool on" and had nothing. While I was in town I grabbed another thermostat thinking that may be the problem. When I got home tonight for laughs I changed the batteries and tested it and everything worked great.

Sometimes the simple things are the biggest pains. I just wasn't expecting it to come with dead batteries.

Thanks for all the help!