DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Carrier Weathermaker 9200 not lighting reliably

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  old_squid 
#1 ·
So first of all, I've been having this problem for a year now on and off. I've been searching online for a solution for that long too... Now that it's cold again the furnace is now worse than ever.

I've checked the igniter, looks good, resistance checks out normally, gets very hot, very orange. The problem I'm having is it only actually lights the gas 1 out of every 5-10 attempts. I can hear the gas valve open after the igniter heats up. nothing. repeat till it kicks out.

I have found if i disconnect the intake pipe and blow in the intake it will light every time.

Any ideas?

#6 ·
Gas, like any fuel needs oxygen to burn. By disconnecting the intake pipe and blowing in the intake you more than likely are supplying the oxygen the burners need to ignite.

A strong word of caution here is that to get close enough to the intake to actually blow in it you are putting yourself at great risk. If for some reason the gas were to build up in the burner compartment enough, and then was met with the oxygen you were blowing in you could potentially create what I call a rapid uncontrolled burning of the gas. Most call this an explosion. Even a small event can make flames come back out the intake...... right where your face is. :eek:

From this distance I'm going to guess that the issue is that the furnace is not exhausting/venting correctly. This could be due to the exhaust venting being blocked, failed heat exchanger(s), or your venter has failed in some form.

If it's the heat exchanger, it's under warranty and you will need to get a dealer out to look at it that can process warranties through Carrier. The age of the furnace will dictate what the warranty will cover, but a Carrier dealer is really the only one that can answer that question. Call around, explain what is happening and get someone out to look at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.