Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #1

Share |

carrier weathermaker 9200-no heat

I've got a c/w 9200 model 58MX080-12 serial 3294A11135 which is giving me problems. For the last week it has been working fine at times then all of a sudden it will be blowing cool air through the vents. I have cleaned the condensate trap and replaced the filter which was a little dirty. I'm getting a code 33-13. When it is acting up it will purge and then ignite and I see flames in the burner assembly then the flames will go out suddenly and the code 33 starts. The blower will continue to blow and will blow cool air. It will continue to blow cool air although I don't know for how long if I turn off the thermostat upstairs. If I flip the breaker it will shut down the furnace and the blower will start back up when I turn on the breaker again and blow cool air. The only way I can get it started again and actually run for any amount of time is to push on the "rollout switch". I'm guessing this switch is tripping as when I push on it it makes a click on the first push. I'm not real technical on this thing so be easy on me....I'm ready to call in a pro but wonder if there's something I can maybe check here before doing so. Any suggestions?

sodusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #2

No suggestions???

Old 11-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #3

rollout switch usually means bad heatexchanger should be looked at professionally as it can be a health hazard to contine using it (carbon monoxide)
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #4

Ouch I was afraid of that. Does that necessarily mean a "cracked" heat exchanger?
Old 11-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodusme View Post
Ouch I was afraid of that. Does that necessarily mean a "cracked" heat exchanger?
unfortunatly yes thats what the rollout switch is there for most times when theres a failure of the h/x the flames will leave the h/x and be blown around by the fan, tripping the button. you could observe the flames as it comes on if you see a differance in the flame pattern as soon as the fan comes on your almost guaranteed the h/x cracked it most likely has a 20 yr or lifetime warranty but youll have to pay labor typicially 650 to 1000 dollars and the parts arent available to the homeowner only licensed repairperson
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #6

Ok just did that and I didn't notice any difference in the flames. One thing I did note however is that it looks there are what looks like two scorch marks one on each side of the burner assembly towards the rear of it. When looking through the window into the burner assembly I can see that a flame on the left side is touching the metal and that is whats making the scorch mark on the outside of the burner assembly.

I'm calling in a pro tomorrow. Thanks for the help btw I'll post back with the diagnosis.

Last edited by sodusme; 11-23-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #7

**UPDATE**

Furnace man left a while ago. The short of it is kennzz05 was right on. Its a plugged heat exchanger. Soooo carrier is fronting the bill for the furnace and I have to pay labor to have it put in. And whoever did the last install for the homeowners before me left the furnace "not up to code". I undersatand here in Michigan that it is against code to have the furnace filter behind a secondary housing that it should of had a special piece of pre-fabricated sheet metal to house the filter on the OUTSIDE of the furnace installed. So I will be out about $650 bucks JUST like kennzz05 said....were you the tech. that came out today? J/K but that was some damn fine ballparking on what it would cost me.