Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 Code 11, But Still No Heat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 Code 11, but still no heat

I'm trying to diagnose an issue that I'm having with a furnace but I can't tell what I should be doing next.

I have a Carrier WeatherMaker 9200 that had been running fine for a while, but it had been in the basement so it hadn't been on for a while. We had a very mild winter last year so the thermostat and the unit weren't on at all. When I went to turn it on this season, the thermostat worked (it appears) and I can hear the click from it that seems to suggest that it is sending signal to the furnace to get started, but the furnace never comes on.

I thought initially that it might be the furnace, but after testing it the WeatherMaker came back with a solid RED led indicating that things were cool. I then shorted the COM and the Test block and it came back with an LED code 11 which indicates that there were no previous codes and suggests that the furnace itself is in a good state as well.

So now I'm a bit lost as to what to do. Do I replace the thermostat? Do I need to get someone to look at the wiring? Do I need to get someone to take a look at the WeatherMaker?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Advertisement

gregorypierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 512

Good first troubleshooting steps:

Remove the thermostat from the wall, connect the R and W wires from the wall together. If the furnace runs, the thermostat is the problem. If the furnace doesn't run:

At the furnace, use a short piece of wire to connect the R and W terminals on the board together. If the furnace runs, the thermostat cable is the problem. If the furnace doesn't run, there's something wrong with the furnace.

Advertisement

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Perfect. Thanks McSteve.

After going through what you describe and putting on my robotics/electronics hat I assume that this whole thing is about getting power to the AC ports. The thermostat just determines when to let power flow which goes through the wires in the wall which makes its way to the AC unit.

As for the real details, it appears that it is the wires in the wall. I connected the red and white wires on the wires at the thermostat and got nothing. The thermostat may be cool, but I'm going to replace it anyways in the near future. Anyway, I went to the furnace and used some Arduino connector wire to patch the Red and White there and yep - the furnace sprang to life and went through its various cycles, ignited, and I had heat from the furnace.

So now I guess I need to find someone to run wire from the thermostat to the furnace? Do I need an HVAC person, an electrician, or is this something fairly standard that I can do myself? If its beyond the "hey connect these colors here since I just learned about HVAC" level of skill, I'm assuming I just want to hire someone.
gregorypierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,720

You can do it yourself.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 872

use #18 wire and NOTHING smaller or the board will get damaged. you can buy #18/4 LVT wire off the roll at HDepot. use 18/5 or 18/6 if you want to use a programmable tstat as you need an extra C wire for it or will be stuck using batteries forever. not a big deal but it is nice to not have to.

Last edited by yuri; 12-28-2013 at 11:10 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
9200 , carrier , carrier 9200 , code 11 , weathermaker