Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier weathermaker 9200

I have a carrier weathermaker 9200 ultra efficiency gas furnace that lights but does not stay running. The electric ignition fires normal then burner fires normal but after about 10-20 seconds it flickers then shuts down. I checked the sensor in the box and it appears to be clean, I checked all the airlins they were all clean and sealed. I did notice when I tap the redundant gas valve it did seem to hold it's flame a little longer. I know in the gas valve it houses two shut off points. Could the whole box be bad? Could they be dirty? Is there an internal sensor? What would be next? I am definitely going to have my hvac guy install and fix the issue, but if I diagnose it he cuts me a great deal for figuring it out. Going to see him first thing in morning help please......

r.p.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #2

Also the light does 3 quick flashes and 3 long ones

Old 03-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 280

Code 33 is limit circuit-does the blower come on? That furnace is notorious for secondary HX failures when it gets plugged up.
Technow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #4

Yes the blower kicks on as soon as burner goes out. I just found it odd when I tap the gas valve right at the first gate it runs for about 15 seconds longer.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Gas valves can go bad, be it clogged or just faulty, or there could be low gas pressure to the furnace. Do you have drip leg in the gas line to catch the debri in the gas? It would be just at the unit and it would be a small upside down "T" of the same steel gas line. The debri would fall by gravity into the trap just before the gas enters the unit.

High limits tripping would be when the furnace is getting too hot. That, the high limit, would cut the gas off and then the unit. To test a high limit the furnace would need to be running long enough to know the temperature rise of the furnace meaning the air coming into the furnace from the return should cross through the heat exchanger and come out within a certain degree(s) higher. Too much higher and the furnace will cut itself off, tripping on high limit.

There is temperature rise information on the data plate of the furnace somewhere, more than likely on or in the door. It will be a range, not a set degree. It would read something like "Temp. rise, 45-75 degress". Those numbers are just a guess as to what your furance rise is but anywhere in that range will not trip the high limit. One degree higher than 75 degrees, 76 degrees higher than the return air coming into the unit, and it will. Make sense? 75 degress into the unit, no more than 150 blowing out.

Again, the only way to know that the temperature coming out of the system is would be is to have it run long enough to be able to check it.

Is your evoporator coil new? If not it could be clogged/dirty/ blocking air flow which would trap the hot air in the furnace thus heating up the furnace enough to trip.

Or it could be a faulty limit switch.

If the evaporator is clean and there is not an air flow problem the blower could be sped up in heating mode which would assist greatly if not eliminate completely a high limit switch tripping. In heating mode the blower is set to run at the lowest speed, usually I should say. The faster the blower is set in heating mode the less warmer the air will be coming out.

The air would not be hot enough to trip the limit and again, if not blocked no matter the speed as if blocked the air will be trapped and get hot(ter).

I hope my rant helped. Good luck!!
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote