Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier weathermaker 8000 - polarity issue?

Hello,

My Carrier Weathermaker 8000 furnace is giving me trouble.

Every spring, I shut off the gas and jump the red and green connections together to run the fan as I have no AC. Well, it's the end of summer, so I removed the jumper and turned the gas back on, but all I get is fan for a while, then it shuts down.

The red LED is a steady blink and according to the error codes, indicates that polarity is reversed, preventing the gas from introduction and ignition. I see no way to reverse polarity that's obvious to correct the error. Would this be an ndication that the control board has gone bad?

I did get a bad lightning storm earlier this year that knocked out a bunch of my electronics. Is it possible the same storm killed the control board on my furnace also?

It's an updraft model. If that makes any difference.

Thanks!

mviker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
how

Rewards Points: 516

Check that all the ground lines for the furnace are still well connected especially for the board.

how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Check that all the ground lines for the furnace are still well connected especially for the board.

Thanks How,

I was in there last night and went through most everything, but didn't check the ground. I did see a ground wire from the gas control connected that was fine, but didn't check the control board. I'm certain the ground coming in with the power is good.

Just wondering...If the ground turns out to be ok, what would be the next thing? Bad board?

Thanks very much. I appreciate your help!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
how

Rewards Points: 516

Poor grounds can give a polarity code as well as others. Do check all the grounds. Some folks who have had similar complaints with polarity codes (with no understandable cause) have corrected it by either reversing their power/neutral lines to the furnace or their transformer.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Poor grounds can give a polarity code as well as others. Do check all the grounds. Some folks who have had similar complaints with polarity codes (with no understandable cause) have corrected it by either reversing their power/neutral lines to the furnace or their transformer.
How,

Would a storm possibly affect the furnace and make it give off this polarity code? I'm asking because earlier this year, I had a big storm blow through and had a lightning strike very close to the house. The strike killed my stereo, Internet, phones, and cable box. All of this stuff is pretty close to the furnace too. Had to replace a bunch of equipment.

At that time, I had the furnace wired to only run the fan, so until I recently reconnected everything, I didn't know of this problem until last Monday when I fired up the furnace for winter use.

I will go through ALL grounds later today when I get home from work. You mentioned reversing power to the transformer. I saw two wires from the transformer going to the control board. Are you saying it's ok to swap their places? As for power coming in from the circuit breaker box, I think I'll leave that be. Everything was fine for the past 10-12 years running the furnace, so I'd think the incoming electric wiring should be fine or it should have acted up before this trouble began. I suspect the storm I mentioned is the culprit and that I didn't find out until now, since I had the heat and gas shut off when the storm came through. Funny enough...Last Monday was when Hurricane Sandy blew through our area. It was chilly, that;s when I decided to get the furnace back into full operation.

Again...I appreciate your advice and thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 256

If you lost other electronics in the house I'd be willing to bet that the furnace can be added to that list. It could just be the board. Lightning always looks for a ground path. Furnaces tend to be a very good path to ground because of all the metal they're connected to and with gas furnaces because of the gas line.

If your insurnace company was involved with the other electronics being damaged I would get in touch with them and tell them that you think you've found another thing, being you don't run the heat during the summer. I'd have a conversation with them about maybe installing a whole house surge protector to hopefully having this happen again.

old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote