Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Lights Inconsistantly - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Lights Inconsistantly

I am having a problem with my Carrier WeatherMaker 8000. It is about 18 years old. Recently it began having an intermittent problem. We wake up in the morning and the house would be 60 degrees when the thermostat is set for 65. The digital thermostat shows it is calling for heat but the furnace is not responding. I took the covers off the unit and watched and timed the startup cycle to see if I could see what was going on.
This is what I observed.

The main blower motor would come on for 90 seconds. At 90 seconds the main blower turns off and the inducer (I hope the at is the right term) kicks on and blows for about 25 seconds and then the ignitor begins to glow. About 8 seconds later I hear a click which I assume is the signal for the gas flow to begin. However, the flames never start and I do not really smell any gas flowing. After a short time the ignitor stops glowing. Several seconds later the ignitor starts to glow again but no flames some on and the ignitor stops glowing.

If I leave the furnace turned down to a low heat setting for awhile, say an hour, then turn up the thermostat the furnace works normally. The burners turn on when they should and the furnace works for a couple of days or a week and then the problem returns. I have changed the filter. I usually change it monthly. The interval between problems seems to be growing shorter. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

reockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 738

put a volt meter across the 2 wires to the gas valve, should read 24 volts AC. at the same time check any other gas appliances that U have to see if they are working. 95% chance the gas valve is sticking closed due to old age. 5% chance your gas meter or regulator is failing BUT only if the other appliances are not working properly too.

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your refply Yuri. I will try that. If it appears to be the valve should I have a professional replace it? I assume that if I am not experienced in working with gas lines that I should not attempt it myself. Would you agree?
reockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

yes......yuri and any other pro.......would agree.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 738

Yes. A Pro is needed.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,542

for sure if its any thing to do with gas that is not a diy project....

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carrier 8000 , inconsistant ignition