Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Lights Inconsistantly - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Lights Inconsistantly


I am having a problem with my Carrier WeatherMaker 8000. It is about 18 years old. Recently it began having an intermittent problem. We wake up in the morning and the house would be 60 degrees when the thermostat is set for 65. The digital thermostat shows it is calling for heat but the furnace is not responding. I took the covers off the unit and watched and timed the startup cycle to see if I could see what was going on.
This is what I observed.

The main blower motor would come on for 90 seconds. At 90 seconds the main blower turns off and the inducer (I hope the at is the right term) kicks on and blows for about 25 seconds and then the ignitor begins to glow. About 8 seconds later I hear a click which I assume is the signal for the gas flow to begin. However, the flames never start and I do not really smell any gas flowing. After a short time the ignitor stops glowing. Several seconds later the ignitor starts to glow again but no flames some on and the ignitor stops glowing.

If I leave the furnace turned down to a low heat setting for awhile, say an hour, then turn up the thermostat the furnace works normally. The burners turn on when they should and the furnace works for a couple of days or a week and then the problem returns. I have changed the filter. I usually change it monthly. The interval between problems seems to be growing shorter. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

reockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,050
Rewards Points: 738
Default

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Lights Inconsistantly


put a volt meter across the 2 wires to the gas valve, should read 24 volts AC. at the same time check any other gas appliances that U have to see if they are working. 95% chance the gas valve is sticking closed due to old age. 5% chance your gas meter or regulator is failing BUT only if the other appliances are not working properly too.

Advertisement

__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Lights Inconsistantly


Thanks for your refply Yuri. I will try that. If it appears to be the valve should I have a professional replace it? I assume that if I am not experienced in working with gas lines that I should not attempt it myself. Would you agree?
reockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 804
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Lights Inconsistantly


yes......yuri and any other pro.......would agree.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 10,050
Rewards Points: 738
Default

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Lights Inconsistantly


Yes. A Pro is needed.
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,614
Rewards Points: 2,542
Default

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Lights Inconsistantly


for sure if its any thing to do with gas that is not a diy project....

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carrier 8000 , inconsistant ignition


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding underground electric wire for driveway lights. mitch21131 Electrical 25 09-24-2012 09:52 AM
Need info on replacing 8 recessed lights in bathroom OhmZoned Electrical 1 11-07-2011 01:35 PM
Day & Night (Carrier) Natural Gas Furnace Lights Sometimes scotth1981 HVAC 6 11-03-2011 06:14 PM
Carrier furnace problem. Pilot lights, no burner Donut HVAC 1 02-09-2011 09:07 PM
Weather Maker 8000 2 Spd Problem hodgeviper HVAC 4 12-31-2009 04:57 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts