Carrier Unit Not Cycling Properly - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier Unit not cycling properly

Hello,
I am brand new to the forum and have a question please. I have a Carrier furnace, approximately 13 yrs old and it is not cycling properly. What I mean by that is the burners ignite properly as they should and run for a couple minutes before the blower turns on, but just before the blower turns on, I believe the burners turn off, like it is in its 'shutdown phase'. What I mean by this is when the burners turn off, the blower continues to run for 4-5 minutes and then quits. The blower runs for approximately 4-5 mins and turns off. then about a minute or 2 later, the burners ignite again and the blower turns on and the burners stay lit and the blower runs for a 8-12 minute session as I would expect. This does not happen all of the time, but enough that it concerns me something is not right. I was hoping/thinking a component was going or has gone bad that I could replace easily....appreciate any thoughts..thank you...Kent

Advertisement

Last edited by kentk1; 01-07-2009 at 02:01 PM.
kentk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Do you have more furnace info. such as model and serial number? Have you gotten any error codes from the circuit board diagnostic light? Did you actually observe what the burners are doing or suspect what they are doing?

Advertisement

SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #3

Sure thing, I will get that this afternoon and post. I am pretty technically savvy, but please educate me a little on what you mean or what I need to look for regarding error codes on the circuit board light. I have not watched the process, but hear and understand the sequence of events that I feel are normal operation. I will observe through the door tonight and confirm my findings. The furnace will click a couple of times and the gas burners ignite. They run for approximately 2 minutes then the blower (what I call it) starts, but I dont believe the burners stay on because the blower shuts off after only about 3-5 minutes when normally, a 'heating cycle' runs for approximately 7-10 minutes is what I have found. At the end of the heating cycle, I presume the gas burners turn off and the blower runs for a short period of time to reduce temperature, etc. It seems this "short cycle" is doing that process prematurely, if that makes sense. I hope so..thanks for the help....I'll get that info posted soon...
Old 01-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #4

Depending on what furnace you have the circuit board may or may not have a diagnostic light that will blink a code. Usually will be a clear window in the blower compartment door. You can view the light through this window. If there is a fault it will blink a diagnostic code. There should be a label on one of the panels that tells how to decipher the code.

If you interrupt the power to the furnace you will lose the code.

Last edited by SKIP4661; 01-07-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #5

Ok, I checked the red light through the spy glass and it is solid red. The model furnace is CD5BXA060000AAAA
Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Sounds like the flame sensor is getting fouled and can't read the flame. Try removing the flame sensor and lightly sanding it with fine sandpaper to remove the surface corrosion.

You have to check the glass when the unit is acting up. They sometimes clear them self when working properly.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #7

I thiink that number is from an evaporator coil for the a/c, the furnace numbers are on the inside label.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #8

Sorry Skip4661, yes, this is where I got the number...dang...I will retrieve the furnace number and post.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
South Jersey

I had the same problem in my old house. We had a couple of hvac techs out and it would work for a while then would happen again (every other year or so). The last guy that came out showed me the sensor and how to remove it. Its an easy process, just make sure you don't bend the metal part. The part has a white ceramic post with a metal piece sticking out. The metal piece needs to be cleaned with fine sand paper or an emory board. They charge you around $100 dollars to do this and a new flame sensor costs a couple hundred. You can do it yourself in 10 minutes. Good Luck
Chris
ChrisSNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #10

Thanks for the info Chris, sounds like a good course of action to take and monitor the effects....
Old 01-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #11

Isn't that what I said in post #6? Don't use the scotch cleaning pad, it will leave a silicone deposit on there and you'll have the same problem in less than one season.....

That flame sensor shouldn't cost more than $20.00. I buy them here for less than $10.00.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #12

The model number given on the inside is 58PAV111-20. Also, while in there, I observed 2 of what I would call sensor type components, standing in front of the furnace on the left side is a skinny bent piece of metal, about 3 inches long in a ceramic base. On the right side I noticed another what I would call a sensor, the color is blackish/gray metalic and it is a rather odd shape, about 2.5 inches tall and it does not seem to sit directly in front of the flame as the other sensor does. should I lightly sand both of these sensors? Im figuring the long skinny bent metal one is the flame sensor, am I correct? thanks for the help
Old 01-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #13

The one that sits in the flame would be the flame sensor. The other one is probably the spill switch.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #14

Do not clean the one on the right. That is the ignitor and it will break easily. The one on the left is the flame sensor.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #15

Perfect, thanks to all for the help.

Kent

Advertisement