Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier Unit

I have a Carrier ac/gas heater model #48ss-036080301. We turn the heat on but it wont stay running. We have to flip the circit breaker to get it to turn back on, but it run for a little bit then it will not turn back on. Is this the igniter that i can replace or should i call a expert? Thanks Joe in NC

Joe Ivkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Carrier Unit

Probably not the ignitor. PS not staying closed, flame sensor,cycling off on limit, etc,.

Last edited by kenmac; 11-07-2010 at 10:37 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

Carrier Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ivkovich View Post
I have a Carrier ac/gas heater model #48ss-036080301. We turn the heat on but it wont stay running. We have to flip the circit breaker to get it to turn back on, but it run for a little bit then it will not turn back on. Is this the igniter that i can replace or should i call a expert? Thanks Joe in NC
We have a WeatherMaker 9200 unit with similar issues. It won't run when the temp dips below the preset temp (for heating). When I turn the unit off, then on, it runs briefly but then stops. When I turn on the fan, it runs until I shut it off.

The unit does NOT trip the circuit breaker. I have changed the filter.

Any suggestions?
Frump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,750

Carrier Unit

remove the front door and look at the bottom door and there is a viewing window. inside you will see a flashing LED. CAREFULLY count the long and short flashes as they can look the same for newbies. then find the code on the sticker which is on the door or back of it and report back. DO NOT reset the power B4 doing that as it erases the code.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #5

Carrier Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
remove the front door and look at the bottom door and there is a viewing window. inside you will see a flashing LED. CAREFULLY count the long and short flashes as they can look the same for newbies. then find the code on the sticker which is on the door or back of it and report back. DO NOT reset the power B4 doing that as it erases the code.
Thanks. It appears to be 4 long lights and one short. I am guessing that is #14 on the door = Ignition Lock Out. Any advice on restarting this?
Old 11-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Carrier Unit

read the sticker as code 14 becomes code 34. when you said it runs briefly, how long is that. 30 seconds, 1 minute? normally the exhaust fan starts and runs 1-2 minutes and then there is a red glow inside the burner box ( look in the window ) of the igniter. let us know if you see the red glow. if not there could be a variety of problems and you need to have an electrical meter and know how to use it for us to help or call a Pro if you don't.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #7

Carrier Unit

Quote:
read the sticker as code 14 becomes code 34. when you said it runs briefly, how long is that. 30 seconds, 1 minute? normally the exhaust fan starts and runs 1-2 minutes and then there is a red glow inside the burner box ( look in the window ) of the igniter. let us know if you see the red glow. if not there could be a variety of problems and you need to have an electrical meter and know how to use it for us to help or call a Pro if you don't.
Thanks -- I'll look for the red glow. However, the unit stays on for about 3 minutes. Be right back.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #8

Carrier Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frump View Post
Thanks -- I'll look for the red glow. However, the unit stays on for about 3 minutes. Be right back.
OK, I am back. I noticed something additional when turning off, then on, the power switch to the unit.

1.) The red light does "glow" in one of the two round windows, but begins to flash as 4-long, 3-short flashes. This cycles for about 3 minutes.
2.) After "1" above, the unit shuts down, and the flashing light sequence changes to 1-short, 4-long flashes.

I did not see any other red glowing or other glowing in either of the two small, round windows on the bottom nor any glowing (any lights for that matter) in the small round window found at the top of this compartment of the unit.

Thoughts on that?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Carrier Unit

you count the short and then the long to get the code and it is correct. you are getting no ignition because the gas valve is not opening due to a bad valve or circuit board and then it locks out and goes to code 14. do you have a gas water heater or stove or fireplace and is it working? if not call the gas co as your meter may be faulty. go outside and make sure no one turned it off.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #10

Carrier Unit

Quote:
you count the short and then the long to get the code and it is correct. you are getting no ignition because the gas valve is not opening due to a bad valve or circuit board and then it locks out and goes to code 14. do you have a gas water heater or stove or fireplace and is it working? if not call the gas co as your meter may be faulty. go outside and make sure no one turned it off.
OK, seems we are narrowing down the problem. We have gas heat in the house as well as for cooking -- all are running fine except the upstairs unit (we have a 2-tier system -- bottom system works fine).
Old 11-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Carrier Unit

while the igniter is glowing you need to have 24 volts AC across the 2 wires of the gas valve. if none then the circuit board may be bad. if you have 24 volts and no gas flow then the valve is bad and that is rare. or the burners are dirty and you need a Pro to clean and set them properly.

Last edited by yuri; 11-05-2013 at 06:23 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #12

Carrier Unit

OK, thank you very much -- I already have a call in for service. Again, thanks for your feedback -- quite helpful.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

Carrier Unit

Good Luck, at least you have an idea what is going on before they get there.

there is also a possibility the igniter is getting weak, if it does not glow bright red enough it won't lite the gas as the color relates to an ignition temperature.