Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carrier Thermostats & two stage cooling

Just had a new Carrier gas furnace and split A/C system installed. From the equipment sheets I can see that I have a single stage furnace and two-stage A/C unit. My old thermostat was single stage only so the installer put in a Carrier Performance Programmable unit model TP-PAC01.

Reading through the installation sheet it appears this thermostat comes in two flavors: AC and HP, the HP model sold for Heat Pump systems. My installer told me they used the AC model since I don't have a heat pump. But according to the install sheet, the AC model has only three equipment settings:

AC - operates a single-speed AC
H - operates a heat-only system, no outdoor unit
C - operates a cool-only system, outdoor AC with indoor fan coil

The default option is AC, but I am wondering if that will function for my two-stage A/C system? I'm thinking they needed to use the HP model anyway since it offers three additional settings: HP, H2, A2. The A2 setting is for "2-stage air conditioner with a furnace or fan coil". The installer swears the AC model will work and that he wired separate Y1 and Y2 connections to the controller module. But they also say they've never used this thermostat before so I am wondering if they are wrong?

Thanks,
Darren

Derwinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

if the book says its single stage than it is and wont operate to its max. efficiency, gonna see if i can find that manual online

i couldnt find that manual but you need the installers guide to be sure, sorry couldnt be more helpful you could try calling local carrier distributer and asking for their tech support guy and asking him (although they can be finiky and wont talk to a homeowner) you could say your were employed by the co. that put your unit in but that would be dishonest so... its your call

Last edited by kennzz05; 01-13-2010 at 10:18 PM.
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 510

I would have to agree.
The TP---PRH---A, TP---NRH---A Performance Series Edge ThermidistatControl would be even better though.

TP-PAC, TP-PHP
TP-NAC, TP-NHP
PerformanceSeries
AC / HP Thermostat

TO ENTER CONFIGURATION MODE
Press and hold FAN button for approximately 10 sec. The Display Module is
now in configuration mode. It will automatically exit this mode if no button is
pressed for 3 minutes. Pressing either FAN or DONE button will exit
configuration mode immediately.
WHILE IN CONFIGURATION MODE
The option number is displayed in the heat setpoint location and the
configuration setting is displayed in the cool setpoint location. On the
TP

PAC/PHP (programmable) models, a box will surround the option number.
The mode button is used to move the box between the two displayed values. The
soft keys below the listed values may also be used to move the box between
selected values. The value inside the box is changed by using the UP/DOWN
buttons. On the TP

NAC/NHP (nonprogrammable) models, one of the values
will be flashing. The mode button is used to change which value is flashing or
the Home and Sleep buttons may also be used to select which value to flash. The
value that is flashing is changed by using the UP/Down buttons. All changes
made are saved at the time of selection and will be saved in the event of the 3
minute time

out or when installer exits from configuration menu.
Configuration Options —Selection
Option 01 — Equipment Type
HP model — Range: HP, AC, H, C, H2, A2.
AC model — Range: AC, H, C.
HP — operates a single

speed heat pump with a fan coil.
AC — operates a single

speed AC.
H — operates a heat

only system. Furnace or fan coil only;
no outdoor unit.
C — operates a cool only

system. Outdoor AC unit with an
indoor fan coil with no strip heaters.
A2 — 2

stage air conditioner with a furnace or fan coil.
H2 — 2

stage heat pump with a fan coil.

Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #4

The kicker is that it looks like they went to a lot of trouble and extra cost to replace a single stage Tstat with another single stage unit. When the installers first put my equipment in I was told they couldn't finish the install because they needed a multi-stage thermostat. They showed up with one the next day and said it couldn't be installed because the spot where the Tstat is located had only 4 wires pulled. I suggested they get a wireless unit, and the next day they show up with the Carrier Edge unit I now have proudly telling me it only needs two wires to connect it to a command unit located in the AC closet. Great!

They told me they've never used this unit before but they got it all connected and everything is working. I started reading through the install and owners guides and everything I read tells me it works only with single speed AC units. I need to find something from Carrier that confirms this because the installer argued that he connected both Y1 and Y2 connections to the control module in the AC closet. But, the TStat controls whether stage 1 or stage 2 cooling is being used, right?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #5

I can't be too tough on their mistake since I've done the exact thing before when installing a Carrier Edge stat. It isn't clearly marked on the outside of the box. They should have picked this up when starting the equipment and corrected it though.

What 2 stage outdoor unit do you have? It may an indicator LED which displays the speed. This would easily prove your point.

Post your model numbers.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston204 View Post
I can't be too tough on their mistake since I've done the exact thing before when installing a Carrier Edge stat. It isn't clearly marked on the outside of the box. They should have picked this up when starting the equipment and corrected it though.

What 2 stage outdoor unit do you have? It may an indicator LED which displays the speed. This would easily prove your point.

Post your model numbers.
It's a Carrier Comfort Series model 24ACB6 outdoor unit (3 ton). The product page is here: http://www.residential.carrier.com/p.../comfort.shtml

BTW, the installers returned yesterday to finish up some work on the outdoor unit and I asked them to verify the operation. When I showed them the book for the Tstat, they messed with it for a bit and then told me, nope its the wrong Tstat. They are supposed to return with the correct model today. Glad the weather isn't hot yet...
Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #7

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...24acb6-1si.pdf

Glad to see this will be corrected.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston204 View Post
http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...24acb6-1si.pdf

Glad to see this will be corrected.
They were no show on Friday so I called on Monday this week. They told me they had no one scheduled to come out again so they had their lead installer call me. I chewed him out telling him I needed to get the thermostat replaced with one that would work. I also informed him that not only did I not have two stage A/C, but it was currently zero stage since they had left the HVAC breaker switch turned off to the compressor. The installer showed up later that day and put in the TP-PRH01-A Edge Thermostat. I verified that I had A/C working and could hear the compressor switching between stages. Everything is now working but it's good thing I figured out the problem because this contractor has some lame installers!